The cause of death for University of Georgia student Rebecca Greene was released Wednesday, according a news release from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.
Dr. Kris Sperry, chief medical examiner for Georgia ruled Greene’s death as a suicide reportedly caused by environmental hypothermia as a result of “immersion in running water, which was caused by severe diphenhydramine (Benadryl) intoxication,” a drug typically found in non-prescription sleeping aid medications.
Greene, 22, died after allegedly falling into a cold stream and “intentionally consuming very large quantities of diphenhydramine,” according to Sperry.
Greene reportedly did not drown.
An Athens-Clarke County police officer found Greene dead Nov. 19 near The Plaza off of West Broad Street in the creek with a bike left near the creek’s bank. She was found not far from her residence at the 200 block of Indale Avenue.
Greene’s boyfriend reported her missing Nov. 19 with witnesses last seeing her the evening before around 5:30 p.m.
Greene, a certified yoga teacher and Earth Fare employee, was a chemistry major and philosophy minor at UGA. She previously studied at Coastal Georgia Community College and Kennesaw State University, according to her social media accounts and the police report.
Stay tuned for more details from The Red & Black.