• November 28, 2015

Former football player arrested on sexual battery charges - The Red and Black : Cops

Former football player arrested on sexual battery charges

Related Stories

Related Galleries

Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 11:56 am | Updated: 6:50 pm, Tue Feb 11, 2014.

A University of Georgia student and former football player was arrested on aggravated sexual assault charges Monday night, according to an Athens-Clarke County media release.

Jamal James Payette, a 22-year-old man from Cleveland, Ga., was arrested hours after a 23-year-old woman reported she had been sexually assaulted by Payette, police said in the release.

A sexual assault is categorized as aggravated when it incorporates some notion of force or threat by the assaulter.

The victim reported to police that she knew Payette before the sexual assault happened at her house on the east side of Athens. 

Police questioned Payette and arrested him afterward, police said in the release. Payette is listed as currently incarcerated in the Athens-Clarke County jail.

The investigation will continue, according to the release.

This is the third report of sexual assault reported this year. There have been two reported rapes in Athens so far in 2014. 

Payette is listed as a "member of the scout team" for 2012, according to georgiadogs.com