Athens-Clarke County police found the body of a 22-year-old University of Georgia student in a creek on The Plaza in Athens Tuesday morning, which was ruled not a homicide Tuesday evening after a preliminary autopsy.

Rebecca Elaine Greene's body was discovered at The Plaza, a street off West Broad Street, where her cell phone was detected. She was reported missing since Monday evening at 5:30.

“The preliminary autopsy does show that this is not a homicide," said Sherry Lang, director of Public Affairs for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. "There were no signs of foul play and no one else had a role in her death. The final results are pending additional testing."

ACCPD requested help from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and UGA PD. Greene's body will be taken to the GBI Crime Lab in Decatur for an autopsy to determine how she died.

“Right now we are just trying to determine what happened,” said Lang Tuesday afternoon. "The last contact with Ms. Greene was yesterday around 5:30. An Athens-Clarke County Officer found her in searching this area — this is the last area where the cell phone was detected and he was just looking in this area, doing his job as a police officer.”

The last contact Greene made was with her boyfriend, attempting to get a ride home from the UGA Science Library, according to an ACCPD police report. Later, Greene contacted her boyfriend via text that she would take a bus or walk. Between 6:15 and 8:55 p.m., attempts to call her went straight to voicemail, according to the boyfriend in the report. After that, the phone was on but no contact could be made, according to the report. 

Greene was found not far from her residence at the 200 block of Indale Avenue. She was a chemistry major and philosophy minor at UGA, having previously studied at Coastal Georgia Community College and Kennesaw State University, according to her social media accounts and the police report. Greene was also certified as a yoga teacher and an employee of Earth Fare, according to her social media accounts and the police report. 

ACCPD asked anyone with any information that could help the investigation to call the ACCPD Crime Stoppers Tip Line at 706-613-3342.

The Red & Black will update as it continues to investigate this story.

hepmepez
hepmepez

[sad] As a parent of a UGA student, my heart goes out to her family. [crying]

randomguysteve
randomguysteve

My heart is broken. I knew Rebecca very well before she went off to college. She was a sweetheart and my iPhoto is loaded with pictures of her smiling and having a great time. She was a great and happy girl whose life was ended before she was able to show the world her potential.

Precious
Precious

The Green family has my deepest sympathy.......This precious child was just beginning her life.
I ask that The Lord wrap his arms of protecting around this family as they grieve the loss of their daughter Rebecca.
My thoughts and prayers are with you durning this tragic time.🙏

Ghost
Ghost

How tragic. Dawg Nation grieves with you, Green family.

heyymrr
heyymrr

Nobody has mentioned it yet, but my heart goes out to the boyfriend as well! He was the one trying to contact her during the night of her dissaperance, so it must be extremely hard for him too!

Wing Commander
Wing Commander

One question: The boyfriend was supposed to pick her up at the library. Why did the boyfriend NOT pick her up at the library? If you get an answer to that question, everything else will become apparent. Why did the boyfriend not do what he was supposed to do?