• November 25, 2015

Vine video sharing app presents new possibilities - The Red and Black : Crime

Vine video sharing app presents new possibilities

Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 12:00 pm | Updated: 12:55 pm, Thu Sep 5, 2013.

Deemed the social media site’s response to Instagram, Twitter released a video editing application, called Vine, in early February. 

“It’s a really unique app,” said Macy Sirmans, a Vince Camuto campus manager. “You can share a whole experience through video rather than just an image. I would definitely use it for VC. I am curious to see how it helps to promote the brand around campus.”

Twitter announced its new product as a way to capture “life in motion.” Vine allows users to capture six-second videos and immediately post them to Twitter. 

“It’s kind of a video version of Twitter,” said Barry Hollander, a journalism professor in the Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication. “It’s 140 characters versus six seconds of video. It makes it easier to distribute video in a hurry. I think it’s great for live events to that special moment.”

Vine allows users to tweet out or embed these video clips into stories. 

The new app, however, comes with limitations. Only iPhone and iPod Touch users will be able to shoot videos using Vine. Android users can browse through videos on Vine, but cannot shoot them at this time.

“I feel like it shows how much technology has improved,” said Allison Morrow, a sophomore broadcast journalism major from Kennesaw. “It’s video that you upload right then and there. It’s a different kind of editing app.”

The app’s limitations leave some users skeptical about its influence on social media. 

“I haven’t seen a lot of it being used yet,” Hollander said. “It only works for people with the iPhone, so that leaves out all the Android users until they figure out an Android version. So once they get it cross platforms we might see more of it. It’ll be slow just like Twitter was slow. So I really don’t see Vine as a game changer, but then again I didn’t see Twitter as a game changer when it first came out.”