Dontavius Deshawn Jackson, a redshirt sophomore tailback, was arrested and charged with a host of charges early Saturday, including DUI, leaving the scene of an accident and underage possession of alcohol. Redshirt sophomore split end Tavarres King was arrested with Jackson, charged with underage possession of alcohol.

Jackson, 20, was arrested by University police and booked into the Athens-Clarke County Jail at 6:25 a.m. The charges, all misdemeanor, include violating the move over law, driving with a learner's permit and following too closely. King, 19, was booked at 5:55 a.m. and released at 7:04 a.m. Also arrested with King and Jackson were Darren Brooks Whatley, 18, and University student Marygrace Elizabeth Azar, 20. They were both charged with underage possession of alcohol. Whatley was booked in the ACC jail at 6:10 a.m. and Azar at 5:40 a.m. A fifth passenger was not charged.

UGA Police Chief Jimmy Williamson told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that two patrol cars were making an unrelated stop when the car driven by Jackson, a Chevrolet Avalanche, passed by without moving over. A UGA officer started to follow the Avalanche as a report of an incident moments earlier where a car had left the scene of an accident came over the radio. The Avalanche matched the description of the car leaving the scene of the accident.

"It just happened that our officer was behind that vehicle when the third officer put the information on the radio,” Williamson told the AJC.

Georgia football coach Mark Richt is aware of the arrests but has not made any statements.

This marks the third arrest for a Georgia football player in a week, as cornerback Jordan Love was arrested Monday and charged with obstruction of a UGA police officer.

Jackson's name came up earlier this year during an incident with two University students in a taxi cab when Jackson said he was the “peacemaker.”  According to the ACC police report, a married University couple fell victim to simple battery and terroristic threats on March 29 as they rode to their home in an A&A Taxi at 2:04 a.m. The police report initially stated UGA football players were the culprits, but a later investigation proved that wrong. Jackson was in the cab, it was later revealed, and served to calm the situation down.

Under University Athletic Association rules, student-athletes found in violation of the alcohol policy are suspended for 10 percent of the games for the season, which means Jackson and King would sit out the season opener against Louisiana-Lafayette on Sept. 4.

Jackson appeared in four games in 2009 and recorded the first three carries of his career at Vanderbilt gaining 38 yards. King appeared in 12 games with nine starts making 18 receptions for 377 yards and a touchdown, including a career-best and team-high 109 receiving yards on three receptions against Kentucky.