Zaxby’s locations in the Athens area have officially started serving breakfast. 

The breakfast being served in Athens is a pilot program. The company, which is headquartered in Watkinsville, will test breakfast at Athens locations for approximately one year, planning to expand the test to other markets in the future, according to Zaxby's.

“It is going fairly well so far,” said Thomas Groves, a cashier at Zaxby’s on Barnett Shoals Road. “The chicken finger biscuit meal has been especially popular. [It sells] over and over and over again.”

The location began serving breakfast Aug. 20.

From 6 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., people can choose from a variety of breakfast options at local Zaxby’s restaurants. The menu features 20 items including the chicken finger biscuit meal and the cinnamon biscuit.

Groves said his favorite items on the menu are the bacon breakfast bowl and the cinnamon biscuit.

Customers also seem to be satisfied with their meals.

Matt Bischoff was eating breakfast at Zaxby’s Friday morning.

“This is my first time here and I like what I got, the number 1, the chicken biscuit meal,” he said.

Bischoff said he is happy that Zaxby’s is now serving breakfast but is uncertain about how frequently he will eat it.

“I could just eat Chick-fil-A,” he said.

Steven Couch, a customer eating with Bischoff, also said he liked the food and would eat there often.

“I’m thrilled,” he said. “I love chicken.”

Despite relative success and good reviews from customers, Groves is uncertain how long the breakfast’s success would last.

“I think after a while, we will notice we are not getting enough business to keep it up,” he said. “It is a decently good idea, but I think we will run out eventually.”

Whether or not Zaxby’s will continue serving breakfast remains to be seen, but for now customers seem satisfied.

“The food? It’s really good,” Bischoff said.

Zaxby's locations in Athens serving breakfast include:

• 1800 Epps Bridge Pkwy.
  • 3704 Atlanta Hwy.
  • 820 Hull Rd.
  • 2255 West Broad St.
  • 2100 Barnett Shoals Rd.