• August 27, 2015
    |
    ||

Coffee-lovers sip on Freudian Drip, support psychology department - The Red and Black : News

Coffee-lovers sip on Freudian Drip, support psychology department

Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 7:00 am | Updated: 10:33 am, Thu Feb 28, 2013.

The University Department of Psychology has partnered with Jittery Joe’s  to create a brand-new blend called Freudian Drip.

The idea for Freudian Drip was formulated by Keith Campbell, head of the psychology department, and Jennifer Messer, the director of development for social sciences.

“We love coffee, and we were looking for a way to promote the department as well as finding a creative way to raise a few bucks,” Messer said. “We knew other nonprofits in the community had done things like this with Jittery Joe’s, so we decided to do it.”

Messer and Campbell visited the Jittery Joe’s roaster and tried many blends. After they took some students to do a blind taste test of different coffee blends, Freudian Drip was born.

The coffee, a Viennese roast, is “a dream blend that anybody can interpret: smooth, full-bodied and designed to facilitate introspection and thoughtful discussion,” according to the Jittery Joe’s online store.

The label depicts Sigmund Freud smoking a cigar.

“We do this with many groups and companies,” said Michael Ripps, president of Jittery Joe’s. “They wanted coffee that was co-branded, so you can see on the label both the Jittery Joe’s frame and the special artwork that reflects the psych department’s idea of the Freudian Drip motif.”

Ripps said proceeds go back to the psychology department. The coffee is not sold in stores because the idea is to promote the department brand outside of Athens and allow alumni to buy these coffee cans as a keepsake of the school, he said.

“It has been a great relationship,” Ripps said. “The coffee is good, and it’s a great way to represent the school. They spent a lot of time coming up with the blend and the name, and it became something really unique.”

The money raised through Freudian Drip goes toward helping lecturers travel to conferences, as well as other ways to enhance psychology students’ experiences.

Messer said they do not have a specific monetary goal that they are trying to reach by selling this blend of coffee.

The coffee beans are provided by Jittery Joe’s, but the psychology department had to pay for the art printed on the label.

Students can buy cans of Freudian Drip either online or at the Jittery Joe’s roaster on East Broad Street.

“Every person at UGA goes to Jittery Joe’s, but there has never been a connection to the school that I had heard of,” said Matt Blass, freshman psychology and biology major from Dunwoody. “I think it might make more students come to Jittery Joe’s to purchase coffee now that there is coffee created by UGA.”

1 comment:

• cesar19921 posted at 5:25 am on Tue, Feb 5, 2013.

cesar19921 Posts: 1

This stuff is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. I'd recommend it to all teachers/staff/students. Every family can enjoy this phenomenal taste! I wasn't too fond of coffee n its effects until I tried this. Surely, I had tried several other ones, but it was merely to stay awake. This coffee has both the caffeine and great taste. I'm not even from GA, but I'll support the school always, whenever as long as they keep producing Freudian Drip Coffee! #SOGood! [cool] [beam] [love] [smile]