ATLANTA -- Deborah Lipstadt, a Judaic Studies professor at Emory University, returned to Atlanta on Wednes-day after a British judge ruled against right-wing historian David Irving, who accused Lipstadt of libel and kept her in British High Court for four months.

'I'm looking forward to coming home to Emory,' the Dorot Professor of Modern Jewish and Holocaust Studies said. Irving brought the charges against Lipstadt and her publisher, Penguin Books, in response to her 1994 book, which called him 'one of the most dangerous spokespersons for Holocaust denial.' Irving claimed the book severely damaged his reputation as a historian.

Justice Charles Gray called Irving an 'active Holocaust denier' and an 'anti-Semite and racist' who collaborates with 'right-wing extremists who promote Neo-Nazism.' Lipstadt said the university's support for her case was 'unbelievably strong.'

Committee discusses parental notifications

ATLANTA -- The Law, Policy and Enforcement Committee met at Georgia Tech to discuss recommendations to be passed concerning possible changes in parental notification of alcohol and drug violations.

The recent discussion developed due to changes in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act that allows parents to be notified if their underage children are found drinking alcohol. The current procedure is that parents only are contacted if their child is admitted to the hospital for any reason.

Before this committee meeting, several town hall meetings were held to find the opinions of students, parents and administrators.

Undergraduate Student Government supports the policy 'that parents are notified only when their student is hospitalized, arrested or inflicts harm upon himself/herself or others.' Any further steps are seen as unnecessary.

They noted that parents are not notified in cases of academic probation or warning and that parents should notice signs their child is in trouble.

Prairie View A&M student killed Tuesday

PRAIRIE VIEW, Texas -- Kristen Tarver, a senior architecture major, was shot and killed by Gary Burroughs, Tuesday on the Prairie View A&M University campus.

Burroughs, who was not a student at Prairie View, committed suicide afterward by shooting himself in the head. Police Chief Rayford Stevens from the Prairie View Campus Police Department said Burroughs shot Tarver, 22, while she was fleeing from his vehicle.

'We do believe she tried to run away from the vehicle, and he shot her in the leg while she was running,' Stevens said. He continued to shoot her several times while she was rolling on the ground, Stevens said.

Burroughs proceeded to shoot into a crowd of people who began to run and drop to the ground. Stevens said an officer arrived at the scene and tried to get Burroughs to drop his weapon. Burroughs put the gun underneath his chin and shot himself.

Police are investigating motives behind this tragedy. According to reports from student witnesses, Tarver and Burroughs may have been dating and were going through a break-up.

Woman approached by man with knife

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- A female student at the University of Virginia reported to police Tuesday that an unidentified black male approached her with a knife.

This is the second incident involving a knife reported to police this week.

The student told Charlottes-ville police that a man with a knife confronted her as she entered her Wertland Street residence. She told police that the man yelled at her and brandished a knife. She then entered her home and locked the door before calling police. The student said she felt threatened by the man, and she thought he was trying to enter her home, Charlottesville Police Sgt. Jim Pace said.

According to the police report, nothing was stolen from the student, and she was not injured in the incident. Two Charlottesville residents reported that they were robbed at knifepoint early Mon-day near University Hospital. The victims in that incident described their assailant as a 23- to 28-year-old black male about 5 feet 9 inches tall.

The most recent incident is under investigation, and police have not named any suspects.

Protesters clash with D.C. police on campus

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Scores of protesters from across the country swarmed to George Washington University campus recently in an unpredictable and sometimes volatile demonstration.

Some protesters attempted to close the International Monetary Fund and World Bank meetings. They blocked intersections and formed human chains across campus, diverting traffic and heckling some pedestrians, students and tourists who attempted to walk through the Foggy Bottom and downtown areas of the city. Buildings and university property were damaged during the demonstrations.

'Obviously it's unfortunate it happened, but we're just glad it wasn't worse,' said Barbara Porter, director of public affairs.

D.C. police officers, decked out in riot gear, used smoke grenades to disperse a flood of protesters, dressed in black and waving flags with anarchy symbols.

'There's nowhere I'd rather be than in Washington, D.C., protesting this organization that is destroying the lives of so many people,' said Susan Strasser, a former GW professor and founding director of the University Honors program. 'I haven't seen this broad a coalition for 25 years.'

-- Complied by Miranda Mangum

Contributing: The Emory Wheel, The Technique, The Battalion, The Cavalier and collegenews.com