• April 20, 2015
    |
    ||

More than 4,000 Charles Darwin votes in Broun congressional race - The Red and Black : News

More than 4,000 Charles Darwin votes in Broun congressional race

Posted: Thursday, November 8, 2012 5:45 pm | Updated: 2:55 pm, Tue Jun 25, 2013.

In one of the longest lists of ballot write-ins ever seen by Athens-Clarke County officials, the deceased naturalist Charles Darwin received more than 4,000 write-in votes for the 10th congressional district, amongst many other names written in opposition to Rep. Paul Broun (R-Ga.).

“We will only count the certified candidates,” supervisor of elections and voter registration Gail Schrader, wrote in an email to The Red & Black.

Other popular write-in candidates were variants on the phrase “Anyone Else” and “Anybody But Him,” as well as “Pete McCommons” and “Pete McCommunist,” the Flagpole Magazine publisher and his fictitious character, respectively.

The write-in campaigns began after Broun’s comments on evolution and the Big Bang Theory, calling these scientific theories “lies straight from the pit of hell.”

Broun carried 16,980 votes, more than four times the write-ins for Darwin. Running unopposed, he received 209,917 votes across the district, delivering the representative a third full term.

Editor's note: An earlier version of this story identified Pete McCommons as a Flagpole Magazine writer. He is actually the publisher.

2 comments:

• Veritatem posted at 5:48 pm on Sun, Nov 11, 2012.

Veritatem Posts: 60

Broun really has worn out his welcome. This was not his first unbelievably stupid and reactionary statements. More students and other intelligent and informed citizens need to find someone else to run, support the other candidate, register, and vote. We've got fewer than two years to move forward, and the sooner the better.

• UgAAlUmNuS posted at 6:42 am on Sat, Nov 10, 2012.

UgAAlUmNuS Posts: 2

I wonder, however, how many of those Darwinists know that the Father of the "Big Bang" theory (a term coined sarcastically by Hoyle) was a Roman Catholic priest, mathematician, physicist, and cosmologist, George Lemaitre?! [wink]
    http://catholiceducation.org/articles/science/sc0022.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lemaitre