• July 29, 2015
    |
    ||

UGA Library undergoes renovations from 1970s look, 'Tween The Pages cafe to reopen soon - The Red and Black : News

UGA Library undergoes renovations from 1970s look, 'Tween The Pages cafe to reopen soon

• Main Library Renovations

The University of Georgia's Main Library has been undergoing renovations, but the new study spaces on the third and fourth floors are now ready for use. (Photo/ Taylor Sutton)

Related YouTube Video

Posted: Friday, August 31, 2012 11:00 am | Updated: 7:20 pm, Mon Feb 3, 2014.

Not too long ago, stepping into the University's Main Library had the same effect as hopping on a time machine set to the 1970s.

But with the recent renovations that have taken place, the library has become more modernized than it has been in decades.

“[The old library] was clearly designed in the 70's, with all the harvest gold and avocado green,” Diane Trap, reference librarian at the University Library, said. “It's a good thing, these renovations.”

Lanesha Lamar, a third-year law student, agreed with this sentiment and was pleasantly surprised when she saw the renovations her first day returning to the University at the beginning of the school year.

“I like the renovations a lot. It makes it a lot easier to study here,” Lamar said. “It [was hard] to study here before because [the old library] was so antiquated.”

The renovations, which are headed by Evergreen Construction, will continue to place for the next couple of weeks. The changes will be most prevalently seen on first floor of the Main Library as well as parts of the third floor.

The special collections libraries have all relocated to their own buildings and have been replaced by the Map Library and the University Press. Though the construction was expected to be complete before the school year commenced, students who visit the Main Library can still revel in the changes that have already taken place.

“Our [reference desk] is closer to the door so people can easily find us,” Trap said. “We also have better seating -- softer seating -- and you can also see the whiteboards that are available for people to work their [homework] problems out on.”

Students can also look forward to a new, refurbished carpet, many more windows and well-lit areas to allow more effective studying.

“We went back and looked at some of the old plans [of the library] to try and make it a more inviting environment,” Eric Matthews, director of administrative services, said. “We are very proud of [what we've accomplished] so far."

For students more fixated on their caffeine fix than the library's new look, the local coffee shop, 'Tween The Pages, is projected to be reopened and running by the end of August.

As for the construction, it will soon be over and students can expect to once again be able to study in peace and quite.

“I always kind of liked the old décor because it had that Mad Men, retro feel,” Trap said. “But it was not necessarily a pretty era. [The old library] clearly looked outdated. The newly renovated library will be a fresher look, it'll be more comfortable and, I believe, more encouraging of traffic.”