• March 1, 2015
    |
    ||

UGA student becomes BBYO Fellow - The Red and Black : News

UGA student becomes BBYO Fellow

Posted: Wednesday, December 5, 2012 7:00 am | Updated: 3:08 pm, Thu Dec 6, 2012.

Emily Trotz, a third year marketing and international business major from Memphis, Tenn., has been given one of the nine BBYO Community Engagement Fellowships.

BBYO is an organization dedicated to “convening and connecting teens of all backgrounds who will become inspired to live Jewish lives” by connecting the teens through various community activities, according to its website. 

Trotz was selected from a pool of applicants to participate in the fellowship, an honor that requires her to act as a liaison between BBYO alumni and the organization as they hold and plan events on campus which are meant to strengthen ties within the Jewish community.

The Red & Black: How did you first find out about the Fellowship?

Trotz: I was actually a part of the planning process for the Fellowship. I helped create the idea for the Fellowship and spent this past summer working on the details for the program.

The Red & Black: When did you first get involved with the BBYO organization?

Trotz: I was very involved in the organization in high school and have remained close to the program as an alumna. Through attending numerous programs, conventions and events, I have remained close friends with many people I met in BBYO. 

The Red & Black: How do you feel now that you’ve been given this honor, and how do you feel about the Fellowship so far?

Trotz: I am thrilled to be working with the organization again. This fellowship offers the opportunity to connect Jewish students with each other on campus and reconnect alumni with each other. BBYO was an integral part of my high school experience, and I have really enjoyed my time as a fellow thus far.

Editor's note: In a previous version of this article, Emily Trotz was said to have received the B’nai B’rith Youth Organization Community Engagement Fellowship. BBYO is now an independent organization which is separate from  B’nai B’rith Youth Organization. This article was updated Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:08 p.m.