• April 25, 2015
    |
    ||

UGA students paid to watch animal cruelty video - The Red and Black : News

UGA students paid to watch animal cruelty video

Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2012 6:45 pm | Updated: 2:22 pm, Fri Oct 5, 2012.

It’s not every day college students get paid to watch a movie in between classes.

A bus was parked outside of Memorial Hall on Wednesday and Thursday morning and afternoon asking students if they wanted to be paid $1 to watch a movie.

This was not a scam. The University’s Speak Out for Species organization joined with Farm Animal Rights Movement’s national campaign, 10 Billion Lives Tour, to educate students on animal cruelty in factory farming.

FARM is traveling across the nation to college campuses and paying students $1 to watch a four-minute video about the treatment of cows, pigs, turkeys and chicken in the food industry. The payment came from a FARM donation fund.

“It shows how animals are raised and killed in our food system. It documents the standard practices,” Jeni Haines, tour manager of FARM, said. “It also offers insight about what we can do about it. It’s very intentional that the public is unaware, but there is a lot of money in the business. We feel that consumers have a right to know what is going on.”

This video and event, which is catered to college students, has had more than 32,000 views since its beginning in May 2012, according to FARM. 

Tabitha Phillips, the University's Speak Out for Species president, said it has been estimated that more than 500 students viewed the film Wednesday and Thursday.

“I’d say that college students are often more willing to consider changing their diet because they are in a transitional period of their lives and may be more open to new things,” Phillips said.

Raising awareness on campus and providing resources if a student wants to learn more about becoming a vegetarian or vegan is a goal of the movement, Haines said.

“When students see the four-minute video that the 10 Billion Lives Tour provides, the decision to do something about the cruelty and abuse they witness can be easier on a college campus because there is most likely an animal rights group, like Speak Out for Species at UGA,” Phillips said. “It can provide information and support concerning a transition to a vegetarian or vegan diet.”

Whether students stopped by to grab an extra dollar or because they wanted to be more informed, University students interviewed by The Red & Black reacted to the movie the same.

“That was the most graphic depiction of animal cruelty,” Farah Clerveau, a sophomore international business and accounting major from Johns Creek, said. “It makes you think about it, at least for today.”

This story was updated Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:25 p.m. to include the number of University students who viewed the video.

1 comment:

• magicbus posted at 10:50 am on Fri, Oct 12, 2012.

magicbus Posts: 13

i hope there's a very warm place for people that are cruel to animals...