The trashing of campus on football game days is nothing new.

But with 70 tons of waste disposed of last weekend amid instances of public urination and defecation, University President Michael Adams said he's had enough.

"I don't want to start a process where we're going around arresting people," Adams said during the monthly Cabinet meeting and media briefing Thursday. "But there was urination, there was defecation, there were 70 tons of trash."

Adams said he doesn't know the perfect answer to decreasing the littering problem on game days, but he plans to meet with other administrators on Tuesday to find a way to address the issue before the next home game.

"I don't want a heavy police presence," he said. "I don't want to restrict where people can tailgate - I've had all of those suggestions. But I'd like to try cooperation from our fans first."

He said hundreds of students and alumni have expressed concern about the trash left behind on game days since seeing Wednesday's front page of The Red & Black.

"The Red & Black ran a very insightful story [Wednesday]. It showed a picture of North Campus on Friday, on Saturday and on Sunday," Adams said. "You would have liked the pictures on both Friday and Saturday. You would have been appalled at the conditions on Sunday morning."

Adams said the fact that the main library and Law School are now closed during game days is no excuse for fans to publicly urinate and defecate on the University's campus.

"There's some things that are just totally inappropriate that adults can handle, and sometimes these are people that are not in a condition where they're thinking completely straight," he said. "And that, too, is an issue."

Adams pointed to the Tate Student Center, where 22,000 fans had opportunities to use the multiple new bathrooms, and said there were more port-a-potties around than ever before.

"But buildings like the Law School or the library, we've had to close because when we left them open the destruction was too significant," he said.

Despite an increased amount of trash containers and plastic bags being distributed to tailgaters Saturday, Adams said the amount of waste left over was noticeably worse than in previous years.

Mark Milby, a senior from Marietta and co-president of the Ecology Club, said last year's home games produced between 30 and 40 tons of waste.

The Ecology Club began a large-scale recycling effort last year during home game weekends to divert waste from the Athens-Clarke County landfill. Volunteers distribute recycling bags, educate tailgaters about recycling and collect materials at the stadium gates and in the skyboxes.

Milby said about 70 volunteers were responsible for recycling more than three tons of waste on Saturday - the most any student group has ever recycled during one home game weekend.

"But, compared to the 70 tons, that is still a drop in the bucket," Milby said. "With more education and more tailgater participation, there's no reason that can't increase to 10 or 15 [tons of waste recycled] a game."

Adams said it's up to everyone at the University to take on the responsibility of protecting campus on game day weekends.

"I am going to plead for help from our students, the alumni, specifically the Athletic Department - we've got to do better there," he said. "And from our fans."

He said he felt there were a number of factors contributing to the condition the campus was left in by Sunday.

"I'll give you three elements," he said. "It was a large crowd, it was a night game, it was a highly emotional game with a [Southeastern Conference] rival."

He said University Police estimate 15,000 to 20,000 people come to Athens to tailgate and spend the day who have no intention of attending the game.

"We have limited public safety police people to cover this," he said, noting police were previously stationed at the stadium once the game started. "That's a more difficult exercise now because you have to police the campus during the game, as well as before and after the game."

Adams said the way the University's campus is laid out makes game days especially difficult. Since Sanford Stadium is in the middle of campus, fans must usually walk several blocks from their tailgating position, something Adams said might contribute to them forgetting to throw away their trash.

He also acknowledged tailgaters are "concentrated on a more and more limited space every time we build a building on a parking lot."

Katie Barlow, president of the Student Government Association, said the littering of campus on game days has been an ongoing issue, but "it has gained some momentum this go around."

Barlow said she has personally heard students' concerns about the trash, but it has yet to be mentioned in the SGA's general body meeting.

As far as SGA taking on recycling or cleanup efforts for game days, Barlow said: "I think President Adams is calling on all students, and that starts with us to do more. That's something we're going to sit down and plan out and work on."

Although Adams said about 85 percent of the University's football fans "are wonderful," he said the remaining 15 percent is a substantial enough group to worry about.

"If you're going to haul in all of this stuff for a pre-game, why not add a recyclable bag or two to go with it?" he said. "Either take it with you, or put it on the side of the street where the appropriate people will pick it up."

Adams said he hopes to see an improvement from fans during next week's home game against Arizona State.

"I do not want us to get the reputation of a British soccer crowd," he said. "But we were darn close to it on Saturday."