• March 5, 2015
    |
    ||

Weekend DUI checkpoints net 48 arrests - The Red and Black : News

Weekend DUI checkpoints net 48 arrests

Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 12:00 am

Law enforcement officials from Athens-Clarke County, Georgia State Patrol and the University Police Department staged two sobriety checkpoints during AthFest weekend, netting almost 50 arrests for Driving Under the Influence and more than 100 other citations.

Of the 48 arrests made for DUI, 14 were either students at the University or members of the faculty and staff.

The checkpoints, set up Friday night and into Saturday morning, were located on Commerce Road at Newton Bridge Road and Oak Street at Peter Street.

In addition to the traffic-related charges, officers arrested a burglary suspect 10 minutes after the burglary was reported. They also arrested a subject for Trafficking in Marijuana, recovering 25 pounds of marijuana and seizing a large quantity of cash.

This is the fourth DUI crackdown local law enforcement has done this year. Police set up checkpoints on St. Patrick's Day, Cinco de Mayo and Memorial Day. The checkpoints during St. Patrick's Day netted 63 arrests DUI arrests.

Georgia State Patrol issued a release Monday stating a traffic crackdown will be in place for the July 4 weekend.

According to the release"

Colonel Bill Hitchens, Commissioner of the Georgia Department of Public Safety, said Monday Georgia State Troopers and officers with the Department's Motor Carrier Compliance Division will be patrolling throughout the weekend in an effort to keep the holiday traffic count as low as possible.

"Our Troopers and MCCD Officers will be concentrating on the most common violations identified as contributing factors in fatal traffic crashes," he said. "Speeding, impaired driving, and failing to wear occupant safety equipment top the list."