• May 26, 2015
    |
    ||

Sad special edition newspaper tells tale of Tech's undying hatred - The Red and Black : Columns

Sad special edition newspaper tells tale of Tech's undying hatred

Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 8:00 am | Updated: 10:23 pm, Sat Nov 24, 2012.

You know that annoying younger brother you never wanted, who you tried to asphyxiate with a pillow that one time before your mother caught you? Georgia Tech is that younger brother.

I was reminded of this a few days ago when an Internet link took me to a .pdf issue of my own newspaper, The Red & Black. But wait, that’s not right: it was the similarly-styled “To Hell with Georgia” edition of Georgia Tech’s official college newspaper, The Technique.

The Technique? Never heard of it. So I went for a stroll around their website (nique.net, how chic), which proclaimed The Technique to be “The South’s Liveliest College Newspaper.”

I headed straight to the opinions section — my bailiwick, don’t you know, and the pulse of the paper — and took a gander at the most recent columns. The first three headlines were as follows: “Phones should be aid, not social crutch,” “Limited study space hampers productivity” and “Mental health stability begins with us.”

So we’re definitely talking Georgia Tech here.

While the paper’s regular fare is about as up-tempo as an insane asylum, its special edition “To Hell With Georgia” content is more appropriately “lively.”

It is bursting to the brim with 24 pages (24 pages!) of all the standard riffs: How about those mule-kicked Bulldogs? A-ha. Boy, don’t they drink a bunch? Ho ho.

After three years at the University, by now those lines have faded into a buzzing background noise. Indeed, for Georgia fans the whole throbbing hatred of the pillow asphyxiation days has since subsided into a mild annoyance — when you’re on the better end of a dominant 62-39 football record, how could you feel anything but? But for Georgia Tech, it is clear the wounds are reopened every year.

When, on Saturday, Coach Richt and the boys lay an almighty stomping on the Jackets, and Tech fans are left to yell, "Why, why do we continue to field a team in this sport?” in the smoldering wreckage of their defeat, it will fuel the vicious circle of Georgia Tech’s existence: hate will beget hate, which will beget more silly editions of The Technique for us all to read.

So I guess that’s a lose-lose for everyone.

— Blake Seitz is the opinions editor of The Red & Black

2 comments:

• Bad_Horse posted at 2:53 pm on Mon, Nov 26, 2012.

Bad_Horse Posts: 4

24 pages of "satire" seems a bit much. Then again, we are talking about dramatic Tech students, so one probably shouldn't be surprised. Buzz off, Geoff.

I found this piece to be creative and quite well written, myself.

• Geoff Lister posted at 3:37 pm on Sun, Nov 25, 2012.

Geoff Lister Posts: 2

Aww, someone's a sore about a little bit of satire? Usually this means they admire or fear you, and sometimes it's just best to let the jest sting a bit, or laugh along yourself. PR 101.

The sad part of this petty retort is all you have to defend your school is your football team.