• July 31, 2015
    |
    ||

Old, new fashion houses make different statements - The Red and Black : Opinion

Old, new fashion houses make different statements

Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:00 am | Updated: 10:05 pm, Tue Feb 26, 2013.

Chanel. Louis Vuitton. Dior. All are vintage fashion houses that have stood the test of time and flourished throughout the years, adjusting to the constantly changing trends and styles of the times. 

Then there are the newcomers: Michael Kors, Zac Posen, Marc Jacobs. All houses that have created names for themselves and become fashion staples for celebrities and everyday people alike. 

All are iconic, and all have clothed some of the most influential and illustrious people in the world. However, older fashion houses have unique, signature looks or pieces they are known for and they tend to stick to those looks or pieces, which make them timeless classics.

While sticking to what you know is often the safest approach, sticking to what you know all the time can become boring and outdated. Though each of these vintage fashion houses has been guilty of doing just that every now and then, they have reinvented their classic looks so they stay true to their brand while also adapting to newer trends.

Also, vintage clothes have become popular this year, so older fashion houses have recreated looks and pieces from the 1800s and 1900s to cater to the vintage crowd.

Finally, most of the older fashion houses have their own unique trademark logos that represent their brand, and I love that because it not only shows everyone where you got that purse or those shoes, but it also associates a certain style with each designer. If you want to look classy and sophisticated, go for Chanel; if you want to look glamorous and mysterious, go for Gucci. Each designer caters to a certain personality type.

In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with older fashion houses. There is a reason these houses have been around so long and continue to be popular among generations old and young.

However, more recent designers have also created their own unique logos and are also associated with certain styles — the difference is these designers always have a fresh approach when it comes to fashion and they are often the ones creating the latest trends and styles.

Newer designers are often associated with modern, sleek styles and edgier, more provocative looks or pieces. These designers tend to push the boundaries of what is acceptable and it is for this reason they are some of the most sought-after and desired designers in the trade. These designers also cater to a younger crowd so they are perfect for those who are in college or for those who have recently graduated from college.

I like the mystery that modern designers feature in their clothing. While their designs can be more edgy and revealing, I find deviation from the norm alluring.

However, I must admit that some of the modern designers can be a bit over the top and “Lady Gaga” for my taste.

Overall, I like both old and new designers. If I want to make a statement, then I can definitely choose a new designer, and if I was looking for a sleek handbag or watch I would also choose a new designer. However, when it comes to everyday wear, I prefer the classic luxury of old fashion houses. Vintage fashion houses never go out of style and they are the epitome of femininity, and it is for this reason their legacies continue to influence fashion gurus the world over. 

— Khadija Dukes is a sophomore from Conyers majoring in journalism and comparative literature