It’s almost that time again. Time for late nights, endless preparation and stressful decision-making. Time for sorority recruitment.

All summer long boys have been going through their oh so strenuous process of recruiting their new pledge classes. They have to go through the trouble of taking the potential pledges downtown or buying them dinner. These poor boys have to find the energy to go out and entertain, all while convincing the boys how great their fraternity is. Sounds really difficult, right?

Wrong.

If you want difficult, imagine spending hours perfecting hand gestures for stair songs. Picture countless conversation games and strategy planning. Think about checking and rechecking bulletin board after bulletin board of pictures. And all of that is just the pre-recruitment hustle.

Recruitment also has many rules. Certain pictures have to be hid; any interactions with potential new members must be recorded. Girls are required to stay in and focus during preparation and the actual week of recruitment. Needless to say, the whole thing takes a lot of work.

Actual recruitment week consists of staying up late to ensure everything is flawless for the next day. Then, the girls wake up in the early hours of the morning to do hair, perfect their make-up, and put on their pre-planned outfits. Once the potential new members are actually in the house talking to the sorority girls, then the girls must select the right questions to ask. These questions can determine whether or not this girl could be happy in the sorority.

Needless to say, with recruitment comes much stress.

Many wonder why sororities go through all of the trouble. They ponder why the girls fixate on seemingly insignificant details. They want to know why the sorority girls over analyze every interaction. The answer lies in two parts.

First, it’s a great way to bond with sisters. Everyone I’ve talked to has testified that recruitment brought them close to girls they never previously had the chance to get to know. All of the sisters in the house pulling together and working hard for the future of the sorority is a great way to bond. During such a crazy week, you really become acquainted with people.

Second, they love their sorority. When you love something, you care about its future. Yeah, they could half-heartedly perform recruitment and let the chips fall where they may, but that would be cheating the organization. The girls need to make sure that they find girls that will fit into the sorority and help it grow. The future of the chapter ultimately lies in recruitment. Without members to perpetuate the legacy, it can’t go on.

Even though recruitment is tough and takes a lot of work, it’s rewards are undoubtedly lasting. When it’s all said and done, the house gets 50-75 new members to wear its letters and carry its meaning with them forever.

So while the boys can have their fun wining and dining, the girls continue to trust in their system that has brought them many years of significance and prosperity.

— Amber Estes is a sophomore from Athens majoring in public relations

alumnus12
alumnus12

Does your sorority support your poor grammar? Your editor obviously does.

Hopefully this paper will become well-written and relevant one day.

nocensorship
nocensorship

Yet another boring annual greek life piece that nobody else on campus cares about. Year after year I'm never suprised.

ookigrande
ookigrande

*yawns*

l0bl0
l0bl0

I feel like half the columns in the Red and Black are just students trying to validate themselves and the choices they make, not expressing an opinion. Just because you write a column about it doesn't mean anyone cares.

asdfasdf
asdfasdf

I'm an alumnus of a Greek organization and I support (most of) what they stand for...however, this is the most pointless and cringe-inducingly boring piece of yours yet. Do you have a 2nd grader ghost-write for you?

spnuf
spnuf

You couldn't have gotten the fraternity recruitment process any more inaccurate. Having been the rush chair for my fraternity several summers ago I endured the endless stress of trying to secure a successful pledge class for my chapter in the fall. But unlike sorority rush, it lasted from about April-August and my committee was made up of five people who were expected to represent the different interests of over 100 members. I was simultaneously doing this along with working 36 hours a week at a summer camp in Athens. It was undoubtedly the most demanding summer I’ve experienced during my undergraduate tenure at UGA. I had to entertain these immature and mostly horrible high school kids four nights a week and drop whatever I was doing to cater to their every need just so my fraternity would remain competitive with the others. On top of that I had to personally call all of the recruits, book Braves games, plan band parties, grill in 100+ degree weather, and pretend to listen to criticism from other members of my fraternity. I was sleep deprived at work and didn’t get a spare second to do whatever the heck* I wanted to on the weekends. By the end of it, I probably dropped the majority of the money made from the camp on these rushees throughout the summer. Oh, and did I mention this lasted more than 3 weeks too?

I have since had a summer internship in a professional setting related to my career aspirations and I can realistically say that the summer I was involved in fraternity rush was not a walk-in-the-park by any means. The whole process is ridiculous but like you said it’s to impact the future of the organization you invest so much into. It’s sure as heck* not just a “wining and dining” structure. So no Ms. Estes, you are mistaken sweetheart and as a result wrote another horrible article. Please educate yourself for the sake of all the dwindling Red and Black readers. Are you in a sorority? I can’t tell by your articles- write about something else or please just flat-out stop writing!