• July 1, 2015
    |
    ||

Women risk losing respect with revealing clothing choices - The Red and Black : Opinion

Women risk losing respect with revealing clothing choices

Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:00 am | Updated: 11:42 pm, Thu Aug 29, 2013.

Ladies, have you ever stumbled across an item in a downtown clothing store and wondered, "Is this a dress or a shirt?” Believe it or not, men are asking the same question when we see those items worn around campus.

Sex appeal is a prominent theme in women’s fashion today, which isn’t exactly novel. But one thing is certain: the ratio of fabric to skin has shrunk dramatically in recent decades, reopening the debate — famously held concerning the “flappers” of the 1920s — about how revealing is too revealing when it comes to women’s clothing.

The South is home to the Southern belle archetype: the young debutantes who dress in elegant, full gowns and belong to high society. Today’s Southern belles are trading in their ball gowns, sunhats and parasols for sexier outfits. 

Is clothing, then, becoming too revealing? The debate is hot (no pun intended), and a quick tour of downtown clothing stores offers more insight. Almost every store — Encore, Fab’rik, Private Gallery, Pitaya and so on — carries clothes of similar themes, indicative of both local and national trends. Lace, feather-light and “sheer” materials are all “in” this year. 

Blouses or shirts are typically the pieces showcased in lightweight or sheer materials, which range from translucent to nearly transparent. And despite the fact that we see women all over campus sporting the look, men may still be inclined to ask, “What is she supposed to wear under that?”

A bra does not seem adequate.

A camisole might work underneath, but just the bra? “Well, yeah,” is the typical response of the employees working in these boutiques. Some stores are even starting to carry inventory of decorative beaded and jeweled bras to be worn under sheer materials.

In pitching this story idea to my team at The Red & Black, I made the joke that “I don’t mind if women’s clothing becomes more revealing, but then again, I’m biased.” 

This is a testament to the power of female sexuality, because it’s the truth: I don’t mind. But that’s not to say that I would seriously date a girl who dressed in such clothing. 

Like women, men are certainly capable of separating sex from commitment at that fundamental level.

Women are able to catch mens’ attention by wearing revealing clothing — that’s not the issue. Women know they have our attention when we slap our friends on the shoulder to say articulate things like, “Dude, dude,” or, “Check her out, bro.”

But what these women don’t hear are the subsequent assessments of their levels of promiscuity and “risk.” Speaking generally, the more revealing the clothing, the more rigorous the assessment.

So my advice to ladies: figure out ways to highlight your sexiest features, but please make us (guys) work for it. 

Leave some things a mystery, because the things that will hold our interest and intrigue are not what we can see right away, but rather what we have left to uncover.

— Keith Llado is a senior from Marietta majoring in public affairs and political science

55 comments:

• KeithLlado posted at 1:27 pm on Fri, Sep 21, 2012.

KeithLlado Posts: 6

Statement of Purpose: Clarity on women’s fashion column

Hello,

My name is Keith Llado, guest columnist for the Red & Black and author of “Women risk losing respect with revealing clothing choices.”

http://www.redandblack.com/opinion/women-risk-losing-respect-with-revealing-clothing-choices/article_cbb6bb84-fb7c-11e1-bbbd-0019bb30f31a.html

Blake Seitz, Opinions Editor for the Red & Black, published “Our Take: A response to recent criticism” on Sept. 16 – four days after my column was published.

http://www.redandblack.com/opinion/our-take-a-response-to-recent-criticism/article_16e92c0c-0034-11e2-b117-0019bb30f31a.html

Be it that I am the author of a column that has sparked such controversy across the University, I would appreciate the chance to respond on behalf of the column and discussion at hand.

“Dailey, Llado and all the others stand and fall on their own material. As they should,” said Seitz in the Sept. 16 response.

I agree.

However, the article that ultimately ran was one that reflected changes by both Seitz and myself.

Some changes were made with my knowledge and approval, and others were not. The headlines for both columns published under my byline thus far were dictated by the editorial staff of the Opinions Section.

It was done without my knowledge or approval.

Such is the editorial process and plight of all reporters and columnists. All the information that is “fit” to print does not always fit on the page.

Thus, the column shed a dim light on a subject that deserved much more. It effectively stifled the discussion I intended to furnish.

I have posted the original copy of the column below to clarify the position of the column and put to rest its association with the University’s “culture of rape.”

Read the full column here as it was when it was submitted to the Opinions Section:

http://kllado89.wordpress.com/2012/09/21/southern-belles-and-sexy-silk/

This is not an attempt to change what was said, but an attempt to place what was said in the appropriate, intended frame.

Best regards,

Keith Llado

A UGA senior from Marietta majoring in public affairs and political science

• mccluresm posted at 10:59 pm on Thu, Sep 20, 2012.

mccluresm Posts: 1

ummmmm, really? Also has anybody seen what people were wearing in the 70's? Some of the skin tight, up to there and down to there cocktail dresses of the 80's? Belly shirts in the 90's? remember all of that, I'm really not sure that current trends are anymore revealing, just different....but a douchebag is a douchebag throughout history

• blahblahblah12 posted at 12:40 pm on Mon, Sep 17, 2012.

blahblahblah12 Posts: 5

renegade, read clyde's first comment. i'm pretty sure clyde is female. So you might need to change your pronouns around a bit, just sayin.

• renegade posted at 3:51 am on Mon, Sep 17, 2012.

renegade Posts: 1

@Clyde
    "Men are actually the problem, but seriously, girls need to dress more modestly so we wont be sexist douchebags towards them."

Yeah, because obviously it’s our responsibility to make sure you don’t act sexist towards us. Nice. Great job blaming the victim.

• amissa posted at 12:18 am on Fri, Sep 14, 2012.

amissa Posts: 2

MCR,

the slippery slope argument has been proven wrong. Please don't compare sheer tops and lace to PASTIES. I mean, come on!

• amissa posted at 12:14 am on Fri, Sep 14, 2012.

amissa Posts: 2

you have absolutely no idea. What gives you the right to "speak to" what women are and aren't allowed to wear. I mean, these issues are central to the "debate" that is going on today, but, as the youth of america, is it your duty or right to perpetuate these TIRED, ridiculous, offensive, misogynistic themes? Also, you are assuming that women are dressing primarily to please or appeal to men. Women dress in certain ways for a number of reasons: to please themselves, other women, friends, for fashion, etc. HOW DARE YOU assume otherwise? Honestly, tell me how you can defend yourself as a man in society. I mean, besides that fact that you grew up privileged, as a male -- with someone telling you that your word is the only valid word out there.

• kickeydonkey posted at 11:19 pm on Thu, Sep 13, 2012.

kickeydonkey Posts: 1

"Men Risk Losing Respect with Revealing Personality Choices"

• blahblahblah12 posted at 10:32 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2012.

blahblahblah12 Posts: 5

clyde, fair points. if you are one who doesn't assume that a jacked guy is a tank top isnt arrogant or cocky, then I applaud your commitment to being non-judgemental. his choice to be comfortable gets him labeled all the time as a chauvinist. obviously chauvinism and sluttiness aren't the same, and you could argue that being judged as slu*ty is worse than being judged as some cocky jerk, but you are still labeling and attributing characteristics to people based on what they wear. again, i am fixating on the tank top because it is an easy example, but it is not the only one.

And i agree there is a double standard. I don't like that its ok for guys to get sleep around, but girls aren't allowed to. i don't think it should be acceptable for either gender to sleep around, but i am probably in the minority.

But I also think that if there was a tapthatUGAgirl tumblr, there would be an uproar. posting pictures of guys (without consent) and commenting on their sexual appeal is gross, the same way guys ogling maxim models is gross. why is this site funny but if i was looking at a similar site I would be labeled "sick" or "perverted"? is this not also a double standard.

and everyone is trying to get laid? you're projecting. there are tons of groups on campus where you can find girls and guys alike that don't fixate on sex.

• Clyde posted at 10:04 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2012.

Clyde Posts: 8

Blahblahblah,

But the point that was being made, as he mentioned in the article, is that sheer blouses are fashionable and so a lot of girls who enjoy fashion, enjoy wearing them. Tank tops aren't fashionable per se but they are comfortable. These are good reasons to wear them. But the argument is that if girls like fashion, which may involve sheer tops, they are suddenly sl*ts. Nobody judges you for wearing a tanktop, other than thinking perhaps it is a poor fashion decision but that is an individual decision to make. To say that girls who wear certain types of clothes are sl*tty is a different kind of judgement. And I saw like, maybe one guy on that tumblr wearing a tank top. Tank top does not equal promiscuous dude, sheer top does not equal promiscuous girl. And why is it "worse" for girls to sleep around than guys? This article reinforces the double standard of sexuality. Do you see the difference? It's one thing to judge the subjective attractiveness of a person but it's another thing to judge their character and actions based on their clothing choices. Also, I think that tumblr is disgusting and objectifying. And, I'd argue that unless you are asexual or saving yourself for marriage, everybody is trying to get laid.

• MCR posted at 9:12 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2012.

MCR Posts: 1

The response to this article is as revealing (pun intended) as the article itself. It seems like the general response, from women at least, is that Llado has no right to tell you what to wear, or worse, has no right to judge your worth by how much skin you choose to show.

These seem like entirely valid responses, but at the same time don't we all make judgments similar to Llado's? Imagine a hypothetical, for example, where a new trend emerged of wearing only pasties and bikini bottoms (and assume that this satisfies legal dress requirements).

If girls came to class, or walked around town like this, how many of us would defend it as her right? Even if it's her right, how many wouldn't be just a bit judgmental? Would we think she's deserving of our respect?

You may say that this is an extreme example, which is true, but the difference is surely one of degree, not of kind. I would suggest that we all think there is a line of "acceptable" dress.

It may also be the case that there is an important difference between a personal judgment we make in our heads, and writing an article purporting to advise women on how best to dress. Maybe it's the presumption that offends as much as the content.

I don't have thorough answers to the above but if nothing else this article got me thinking, for which I'm grateful to Llado.

• blahblahblah12 posted at 12:09 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2012.

blahblahblah12 Posts: 5

clyde, in response to your comment about girls not high-fiving each other and saying "yeah id tap that", please check out this popular tumblr feed called "tapthatUGAguy"
    http://tapthatugaguy.tumblr.com/
    plenty of girls are guilty of the same thing: objectifying the opposite gender based on their appearance. only girls like to pretend that other girls would never stoop to this level, or that its funny and socially acceptable to do so.

that is what i meant by "high horse"

• Flash70 posted at 12:07 am on Thu, Sep 13, 2012.

Flash70 Posts: 2

Interesting article.

There are many different ways to dress and each way reflects your own opinion and style. This is one of the greatest aspects of fashion. Wear what you feel comfortable in. If every time you get dressed you think to yourself "I wonder if this will impress people" or "I wonder what people will think if I wear this", then you are missing out.

Women risk losing respect with revealing clothing? Guess that depends on where you stand. Like many situations, fashion included, there is an appropriate time and place. I personally find nothing wrong with the outfits you described in this scenario. Would I wear a t-shirt to a job interview at a Fortune 500 company? No and I doubt you would see the outfits you described there either.

I find this part of the article extremely rude. "figure out ways to highlight your sexiest features, but please make us (guys) work for it.". You covered all guys in a single category as well as all women, while indicating that you spoke for the men.

Flash70 Posts: 2

Interesting article.

• Jules posted at 10:33 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

Jules Posts: 1

I appreciate you writing this article.

I don't like what you are saying. I don't agree with you, and I'm not even sure I agree with the fact that you chose to write an article about it.

HOWEVER, I'm glad you wrote it. This is the kind of stuff that would have been held back prior to the walkout. I defend that you are able to choose your own articles and your own topics. I am proud to go to a school where this kind of stuff can make it to the point of being published.

I know it's creating an uproar. I'm a girl who's fairly feminist. I'm upset by what you're saying. Good! Let people call you an a$s on Facebook. Let your coworkers call you an a$s. Let me call you an a$s! You have an opinion. And I defend and appreciate your right to say it.

Write on, Red and Black.

• blahblahblah12 posted at 10:00 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

blahblahblah12 Posts: 5

clyde, you are right, tanktops aren't fashionable, but they are super comfortable. Should I not be allowed to decide what I wear based on comfort rather than style the same way you choose what you wear based on style instead of what guys think of it? Why is it ok for you to judge me for wearing a tanktop but I can't judge you for wearing a see-through top? I dont give two craps if you think i'm a tool, i am 20 degrees cooler wearing a tanktop than a thick cotton button down which is fashionable #ithinkimhipbecauseiusehashtagsonawebsitethatdoesntsupporthashtags
    #alsoIdontactuallyweartanktops,iamjusttakingonthefirstpersonforthesakeofsimplicity

And you are so right, i am extremely lucky nobody knows who I am, otherwise my life goal of getting laid twice a day would be ruined!!!! look, you assuming that I am just dying to get laid is the same logic that this clown is using to say girls want to look pretty for guys. Lots of guys are only out to get laid, plenty of girls are out to look good for guys. I don't care whether or not I get laid, that's not even close to my first objective when I am dating girls. You're stereotyping me the same way this doofus is stereotyping you and your see-through top. #greatattemptatthreateningmebyholdingoffsexthatapparentlyIcantlivewithout

Lastly, I really do agree, this article is sexist. I am just saying that there is a flip side to this coin. Didn't mean to get you so angry there cldye. #sorryforbeingtheonlyguytohavetheaudacitytopostacounterargument

I am going to go delete my account now, I don't want anyone finding out who I am and stand a chance of never getting laid, since that is clearly the worst possible thing that could happen to me. Listen princess, my world doesn't revolve around what's between your legs the same way yours doesn't revolve around what guys think about you. #oknowcanwebefriendssinceweagreethisguyisadouche?

• childplease posted at 9:55 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

childplease Posts: 2

I really hope you guys posting scholarly articles are serious. Don't you have anything better to do than to look up empirical data on women's problems?

• Joe Biden posted at 8:54 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

Joe Biden Posts: 1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1519450542466&set=a.1274018566820.2035825.1120590645&type=1&permPage=1

Classic, professional Keith

• HaleyCrain posted at 8:41 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

HaleyCrain Posts: 1

Thank you so much, Keith Llado. On countless occasions, I've tried to make clothing choices on my own without a man to guide me. "I like this top, but what will it make MEN think about me?" I wonder stupidly to myself, because I am a female and have a smaller brain and am less logical by nature. But now that you've written this brilliant piece, I FINALLY KNOW WHAT TO DO. THANK GOD FOR THIS GUIDANCE. FINALLY. OH, FINALLY. THANK YOU. WE'VE BEEN WAITING SO LONG FOR THIS KEITH. KEITH. THANK YOU KEITH. WOW. YOU'RE A SAINT. OH MY GOD. Oh no, I'm getting hysterical! I must be getting my period.

• georgiagirl27 posted at 8:00 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

georgiagirl27 Posts: 2

I love how on the Rules of Conduct for commenting it says no sexism. Can we get this code of conduct for the articles people write??

And to you Keith, a lovely F*CK YOU. I will wear whatever I want and dear God please tell me I am losing respect for myself because I care SO much what guys think of me. Have fun either being single all your life or marrying a chick who doesn't know what the purpose of her vaj is.

• A UGA Debutante posted at 7:32 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

A UGA Debutante Posts: 1

Okay, I want to preface my praise for your article with a disclaimer: I don't like going to bars, but I do. Please don't judge me for it. I would never go downtown just to, I don't know, drink or dance or hang out with my friends. (I mean, seriously, what respectable woman does that?) Unfortunately, going downtown was strongly encouraged by academic advisor, seeing as how I want to graduate with my MRS degree in four years.

You know about the MRS degree, right? I think you do, since you seem to be referencing it indirectly throughout your article. I don't know if you're aware (and forgive me if you are; the last tone of voice I would ever want to take with you is a patronizing one), but MRS is a pretty competitive major here at UGA. All women on campus -- be they straight, gay, bi or trans* -- are automatically and irrevocably put on the MRS track when they're accepted here. It's nice and in-keeping with hundreds of years of tradition, but goodness me, having every single lady on campus pursuing an MRS degree makes things difficult sometimes!

The MRS degree gets a bad rap, when it's actually really hard to get! UGA does have more female students than male students, after all. Logic says not every woman is going to be able to find a heterosexual man who would deign to date then marry her, so countless women don't end up graduating. It's not as easy as I'm making it sound. There are all kinds of degree requirements. First, you have to get a guy to date you, and he has to do it seriously, not just use you for your body. After that, you need to go steady for awhile, otherwise known as becoming girlfriend and boyfriend. That's a step many people don't get to, sadly. (Oh, whoops, did I say 'people'? I clearly meant women -- cause 'people' and 'women' aren't the same at all.) After that comes marriage. I'm secretly terrified that I'm not going to be able to make it under a four-year, 127 HOPE hour deadline, which is why I tend to rely on advice from my advisor and selfless guys like yourself.

But I digress.

The point of this comment was to thank you. Prior to reading your article, I was under the impression that the trendy new lacy and "sheer" top that I'd bought at the beginning of the semester would help me catch my future husband. I'm not very interesting, I don't have my own hobbies or passions, and my personality really isn't much to speak of, so I do rely on and treat my clothes as tools to catch and keep the attention of men. Therefore, I really can't thank you enough for taking time out of your busy day to research women's fashion (by going in a few stores downtown -- I can't believe I didn't think to do that!) and write an Opinion column in order to educate us (girls). I can't believe I let myself be duped into buying something so promiscuous! How foolish of me. It's a mistake I'll learn from, though, cause let me tell you, husband-catching tops are NOT cheap, even the inappropriate ones.

There I go rambling again! I don't know why that keeps happening. My bra must be on too tight or something.

Anyway, I better go. I have to take a long look at my closet to see what can be salvaged. After I find what highlights my sexiest features but still makes guys work for it, I think I'm gonna burn everything else -- all my promiscuous tops and "risky" mini-skirts -- just so I won't ever be tempted to wear them again and embarrass myself.

Sincerely,
    A UGA Debutante

• Clyde posted at 7:31 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

Clyde Posts: 8

And if a guy wears a tank top, girls don't think "oh man I bet he sleeps around, I could get a piece of dat a*s but I wouldn't take it home to mama" *high fives girl friends*

• Clyde posted at 7:29 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

Clyde Posts: 8

Dearest blahblahblah12,

So you think he is stupid, not for thinking these things, but for revealing that he thinks them? High horses? Tank-tops are not fashionable, sheer blouses are.

You are so lucky this a anonymous other you wouldn't get laid until you graduate from college (just like this guy).

#MissingThePoint

• ep317 posted at 7:25 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

ep317 Posts: 1

Dear Keith Llado,

Do you know where the main library on North Campus is located? You might be able to google it if not.

Anyway, there are these amazing little handheld things there called books. Go getcha one! Do it! It feels great!

Thanks!

• yourFUNeral posted at 7:08 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

yourFUNeral Posts: 2

As a member of a rival paper I can't imagine anything better for the Red & Black to publish. Students in newsrooms across the state are high-fiving yet again at the follies in Athens. How quickly the R&B went from being respectable to one of the biggest jokes in college media. Seeing as how Llado is a senior majoring in public affairs I'd say this speaks volumes towards UGA's public affairs department as well.

WELL DONE... Keep up the, uh, work..

• blahblahblah12 posted at 6:58 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

blahblahblah12 Posts: 5

ok ladies, get off your high horses for a minute. clearly this guy is a dummy for writing this article, but youre telling me youve never thought to yourself, "wow that meat-head is only wearing that tank top to show off his biceps"? Please also check out this article posted today by a female about girls judging guys' clothing choices:
    http://www.redandblack.com/opinion/modern-males-outshone-by-dapper-southern-forebears/article_4870bd32-fb78-11e1-b696-0019bb30f31a.html

Just relax with the whole "men are always plotting ways to bring down women" attitude. we think about other things too occasionally haha

• Clyde posted at 6:16 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

Clyde Posts: 8

Sorry to post again but my male friends just said it best:

• arelless posted at 6:04 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

arelless Posts: 5

Also, I'd wear a sheer shirt with no "inadequate" bra to keep a misogynistic jerk away from me any day. Just to watch you squirm with your entitled discomfort.

• UGAGrad2011 posted at 6:00 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

UGAGrad2011 Posts: 1

Is this the Red and Dead staff staging a coup to bring down the current Red and Black? I just don't understand. Besides the obvious, there are three problems with this article:
    1) The women who do think that clothing has become too revealing clearly have some pride in either themselves or their gender. Therefore, they're not going to want YOU, bro, to tell them how to dress.

2) The girls wh DON'T agree are going to be angry because you basically just referred to them as Prohibition-era harlots.

aaaaaand finally

3) The guys who disagree are about to disown you. Good luck my friend.

• holycrapreally posted at 5:11 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

holycrapreally Posts: 1

Interesting. Would you suggest we all wear burkas as well so that men see as more wholesome potential partners?

"But what these women don’t hear are the subsequent assessments of their levels of promiscuity and “risk.” Speaking generally, the more revealing the clothing, the more rigorous the assessment."

Are you kidding me? Women are hit with messages that they are physically too this or too that ALL THE TIME. A girl going out in a short skirt knows that some douchebags are going to judge her on the pride she has in her legs, that they are devaluing her because she is not hiding everything that makes her feel attractive so that her body can be gazed at and seen as pure by her future husband. Christ. WE KNOW. You are not sharing any new or special information. You are just publicly affirming that you are a dude who wants to tell women how to dress themselves. And slutshaming on top of that. I bet you're one of those jerks who doesn't think twice when he hears his bros talking about trying to get laid but will shame a girl who does the same.

• Clyde posted at 4:57 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

Clyde Posts: 8

Um. Okay.

YOU are not the judge of fashion. Girls are going to wear what girls want to wear. It doesn't matter that you pat your fellow fratstars on the back. What a condescending and ignorant piece of writing this is. Do you REALLY think that girls wear those kinds of clothes to appeal to your sex drive? Absolutely not. If you feel like you have the right, or even more-so that you are ENTITLED to comment on a woman's way of dressing just shows how you feel like women are objects there to be judged by YOU. So honestly, F YOU. Seriously. Who cares what you think? Women can wear whatever they want to and deserve not to have their personalities or, as you so arrogantly put it, their "risk" judged by some idiot random boy on the street. All people are free to wear whatever they want and they certainly should not be subjected to stupid, ignorant judgements made by any people, but especially by people like you. God, I cannot even get over why highly you must think of yourself that you think it's your place to go and write an article like this. If I wear a sheer blouse to school that is MY BUSINESS because that is the clothing style that I LIKE and it has absolutely nothing to do with you or this sad patriarchal construct that you live in.

• lybram posted at 4:42 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

lybram Posts: 1

I was hoping that this would be just one more example of badly executed satire in this abysmal paper's recent history, but the longer I read, the more obvious it is that this writer is a patronizing, misogynistic assh-le.

Let me clarify with some assorted opinions contrary to all the bullshit he's written above:

No girl is waiting for your opinion. You are not the f-cking referee for women's clothing. Not all women are heterosexual, and who are still are shouldn't give a flying f-ck about what you have to say regarding their choices. What we wear has no effect on who will harass a woman, and to imply that it is more "risky" lends itself to the victim-blaming rhetoric that's been sullying the subject of rape since time immemorial. Not everything we do is to get a date/your worthless respect. Sometimes, it's because women have something else on their minds besides being your ideal trophy wife.

Stop being an asshat, asshat.

• Tommc13 posted at 4:22 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

Tommc13 Posts: 1

This article is such garbage. Does this type of writing really belong in a student newspaper? It's just attesting to the quality (or lack there of) of this paper and their writers. It was better off dead...

• onetwothree posted at 4:13 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

onetwothree Posts: 1

Media and Clothing Market Influence on Adolescent Girls: Warnings for Parents

Once, sl*t was one of the most derogatory and insulting ephithets that could be hurled at any woman...In today's world, however, both the term itself and the sexual promiscuity it signifies are embraced (Libeau, 2007, p. 12).

As young girls seek to assert their own identities, they are inclined to look to women they admire in pursuit of lifestyles to mimic. Confronted with ambiguous age boundaries and bombarded with popular cultural icons, a sexual pandemic is spreading as fashions trickle down into their closets and cultures (Cook, 2004, p. 210). Fueled by influential media and an overly provocative clothing market, today's young females are rocketing into adult behaviors at young ages, and multiple risks are along for the ride.

Some parents raise voices of alarm at this cultural trend of young girls growing up too fast and may seek ideas for guiding their youth to embrace standards they both can agree on. In response to expressions of public concern, the American Psychological Association formed the Task Force on the Sexualization of Girls to research the issue. The task force defined sexualization as the occurrence of one or more of four circumstances: when a person's value comes solely from his or her sexual appeal or behavior; when a person is held to a standard that equates physical attractiveness (which is narrowly defined) with being sexy; when a person is sexually objectified; or when sexuality is inappropriately imposed upon a person (APA, 2007, p. 2).

While some parents express concern over these issues, some are likely to wonder why it is even an issue in the first place. Isn't it OK for their girls to be sexy and hot? Isn't it good for their daughters to be popular and attract boys' attention? What's the big deal? Truth be told, it is a big deal because of the consequences that almost always come hand-in-hand with trying to look sexy and hot at a young age. When a girl focuses too much on her physical appearance, she places her self-esteem, emotional and physical health, academic achievement, and sexual safety on the chopping block. And one of the primary avenues she's taking to the guillotine is found in her everyday media choices.

Media

In a typical week, the average adolescent spends more than 40 hours with some form of mass media|often more time than they spend with their parents. The same study determined that through the media alone the typical American adolescent encounters between 10,000 and 15,000 sexual references, jokes, and innuendos per year (Brown & Lu, 2007, p. 754).

Yet another study revealed that children are spending more time with the media than with any other activity except school and sleeping (Roberts, Foehr, & Rideout, 2005). The APA task force's report pointed to several facets of the media that contribute to sexualization, including the Internet, movies/television, music/music videos, and literature/magazines (APA, 2007, pp. 4-5).

Internet

Nearly 9 in 10 adolescents have access to the Internet, with about 75 percent of them having access at home. Most teens reported inadvertently stumbling across pornography online, often via unsolicited emails or misleading links (Taylor & Hansen, 2007, p. 764). Social networking sites such as MySpace encourage youth to "describe themselves" on the Internet, and some girls utilize the opportunity to pose in provocative clothing and post notices of their "sexual availability" (Kornblum, 2005).

Movies and Television

Liebau states it simply: "American young people are hearing (and seeing) a lot of sex, every day, when they turn on the TV." While low sexual inhibitions are portrayed as "carefree and glamorous," there is a blatant lack of depictions of risks or negative outcomes associated with such behavior (Kunkel et al., 2000, p. 157). In a study that analyzed 81 primetime television shows, 84 percent of the episodes contained at least one incident of sexual harassment|an average of 3.4 instances per program (Grauerholz & King, 1997, p.143).

Most of the sexual content on primetime occurs outside marital relationships, depictions of sexual consequences are rare, and gender emphasis lies on women's physical beauty and men's physical strength. In general, "typical depiction of sexual activity has been classified as recreational rather than relational" (Brown & Lu, 2007, p. 754).

Music and Music Videos

But even the frequency of sexual content found in shows and films takes runner-up to what's filtering in on the radio. As of a study done in 2005, sexual content appeared more frequently in adolescents' music selections than in their television or movie choices (Pardun, L'Engle, & Brown, 2005).

After Britney Spears' debut album hit the pre-teen scene in the late 1990s, her debut music video was not far behind. Dancing in the hallways of a school and clad in a sexed-up and skimped-down version of the standard plaid-and-button-up ensemble, Spears paraded in her pigtails for her youthful audience's viewing pleasure. Other stars followed suit. A few years before Spears' first video premiered, a study reported that as much as 81 percent of music videos contained sexual imagery (Gow, 1996, p. 156).

Literature and Magazines

Parents can install television filters and monitor their children's music purchases, but what about what's hitting them between the covers of their favorite books and magazines?

A 2007 study found that adolescents ranked magazines as a more important source of information than their parents, peers, or schools (Taylor & Hansen, 2007, p. 764). The primary point of many articles, text, cover lines, ads, and photographs is to attract boys' attention by looking "hot and sexy." The world of magazines is "a place where sexuality is both a means and an objective, where the pursuit of males is almost the sole focus of life (Duffy & Gotcher, 1996, p. 43).

Advertisements

They run between the scenes of television shows and crowd the pages amid the magazine articles, so what are advertisements presenting as they so frequently permeate children's lives? In a longitudinal study that analyzed advertisements in popular women's magazines between 1955 and 2002, 40 percent of the ads featured women as decorative objects (Lindner, 2004, p. 415).

Abercrombie and Fitch, a clothing store for pre-teens and teens, riles concerned parents with advertisements featuring models wearing little more than their birthday suits. One ad depicted a naked young woman in the arms of a naked young man, and another showed a young man wearing low-rise jeans positioned so far down that there was little left to the imagination. With so much focus falling on bare skin, it begs the question, where are the clothes these models are selling? (APA, 2007)

Buying into Sexy

Twenty-year-old Maggie wants guys to notice what's inside|without having to reveal too much of what's outside...But is that possible? (The Art of Modesty, 2004, p. 127)

According to an article that ran in Seventeen magazine in June 2004, Maggie's "unique" style consisted of wearing "Gap skirts or vintage dresses" and choosing tankinis over "skimpy bikinis." While it is commendable that Maggie's story was printed in the magazine, the article did not exactly cast her style choices in a positive light. In the words of one author, Maggie's decision was "treated as noteworthy at best|and maybe even freakish" (Liebau, 2007, p. 78).

While Maggie hangs out on the "freakish" end of the spectrum," Abercrombie and Fitch is busy marketing thong underwear for 10-to-16-year-olds with slogans such as "Eye Candy," "Kiss Me," and "Wink Wink." A spokesman for the company shrugged them off as "cute and sweet" (Cook & Kaiser, 2004).

Skimpy outfits aren't the only products enticing teenaged consumers to crack open their piggy banks|Even the toy shelves are replete with opportunities to buy into sexy trends. Bratz dolls are marketed in bikinis, sitting in hot tubs, mixing drinks and standing around observing the "Boyz" (Lamb & Brown, 2006, p. 116). Bling Bling Barbie comes dolled up in a micro-miniskirt and plunging, navel-baring silver tank top. FAO Schwarz sells dolls clad in high heels, fishnets, garter belts, and bustier.

Behavioral Risks

So what's the harm in all this? The truth is, young people have a tendency to model the characters they observe; In fact, teens who watch the most sex on television were found to be twice as likely to begin have sexual intercourse at younger ages than those who saw the least (Collins et al., 2004, p. 287). The APA task force reported that when girls are exposed to sexual content and female objectification it can hinder their ability to form healthy sexual relationships with their marriage partners later in life:

A woman who has learned to fear negative evaluations of her body may be more focused on her partner's judgments of her than on her own desires, safety, and pleasure (APA, 2007, p. 27).

Healthy Sexual Attitudes

Girls need not be sheltered from the reality of their sexuality; the APA task force wrote that healthy sexuality is related to greater intimacy in marriage, higher self-esteem, low levels of stress, personal happiness, and other positive benefits (APA, 2007, p. 26). Forming a sense of oneself as a sexual being is indeed a normal and healthy part of human maturation|but danger occurs when this happens too soon and is fueled by the wrong influences (Arnett, 2000, p.470).

Among older adolescents and young adults, satisfaction with virginity decreased as they increased their identification with sexually active characters in the media (Baran, 1976, p. 65). While yesterday's culture equated domestic qualities with attractiveness, today's society equates sexiness with physical attractiveness (Wolf, 1991, p. 9).

One danger of viewing an excessive amount of sex-saturated media is a syndrome known as self objectification. Self objectification occurs when girls learn to think and treat their own bodies as objects of others' desires. When a girl becomes self-objectified, she adopts a mental "third-person perspective" of her physical self and constantly assesses her body in an effort to conform to the perceived ideal (Frederickson & Harrison, 1997, pp. 182-183). Besides lower self-esteem, another troubling effect of self objectification is the adoption of negative attitudes toward the functional aspects of the body, e.g. breastfeeding, menstruation, sweating, etc (Ward, 2006, p. 148).

What Else is at Stake?

Multiple other risks come as tag-alongs with the behavioral risks and impeded development of a healthy sexual attitude. One study points to over-sexualization as a contributing factor to why girls drop out of higher level math classes in high school (Frederickson & Harrison, 1997).

And if sexual content in media does indeed increase sexual activity at younger ages, the physical and emotional consequences of such a trend are nothing to be ignored. The younger a female is, the more likely she is to contract an STD|twice as much at 13 years old versus 21 years old (Centers for Disease Control, 2004, p. 3). More than one million teens get pregnant every year (Kirby, 1997, p.1). Teenagers who are sexually active have more difficulty sleeping and are 6.3 times more likely to attempt suicide than their virginal peers (Orr, Beiter, & Ingersoll, 1991, p. 145). Among girls aged 11 through 17, the number one wish is to lose weight (Maine, 2000, p.31). Another study found an important link between body dissatisfaction and the onset of cigarette smoking among adolescent girls (Stice & Shaw, 2003, p. 133). And the list goes on from there.

Ideas for Parents

What can parents do to help their teens steer clear of these influences? Here are some suggestions:

Watch what you say

Parents, through their words or actions or lack thereof, can implicitly teach girls that they agree with media's depiction of the female ideal. Either overtly or subtly, parents can express their support for movies, television shows, and advertisements that present harmful ideals to their children.

Avoid self-criticism

Remember that your children hear what you say about yourself. One study showed that girls whose mothers use "fat talk" about their own bodies were at a greater risk to develop eating disorders (Nichter, 2000, p. 120).

Be involved in everyday life

Children and adolescents actively select and interpret television content and assess its reality by referring to their own experiences and knowledge of the world. If they are taught to view the content as unrealistic, then the media's influence will be limited (Chock, 2007, p. 758).

Media co-viewing

One effective technique for diffusing the messages from the television is implementing a practice known as media co-viewing. According to the APA task force, when parents actively comment on and discuss the content in shows their children are viewing, it can alter the messages their children receive.

Keep a watchful eye

While it is virtually impossible for parents to co-view and intervene with any and every form of media their daughters encounter, there are other methods of defense. V-chip technology allows parents to block particular programs of their choice. Also, when daughters perceive that their parents have an interest in what they do, where they go, and who they're with, behavioral risks associated with media can be avoided.

Communicate

When parents encounter a behavioral choice or sexual attitude they are opposed to, they need to actively and effectively communicate to their daughters that such actions are not acceptable. Many parents are too reluctant to criticize sexual trends or attitudes because they fear being accused of being judgmental (Liebau, 2007, p. 9). If teens are seeking sexual information in a sex-saturated world, they are going to find it|but parents can largely influence and filter what information they receive and how they receive it (Taylor, 2007, p. 764).

Online resources

Media literacy training programs such as the Girls, Women + Media Project (http://www.mediaandwomen.org/) teach girls to view media critically and aim to create "active interpreters of messages rather than passive consumers" (Girls, Women + Media Project).

A campaign launched by Dove in recent years turns a critical eye on popular media and instead emphasizes "real beauty." Their Web site (http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/) provides multiple resources and videos to aid in promoting healthy self esteem among young women. One video urges parents to talk to their daughters "before the beauty industry does."

Extracurricular activities

Participation in athletic activities can provide a buffer against media's narrow portrayal of female identity by focusing on physical competence over appearance. According to the task force, being a part of an athletic team not only provides a sense of identity and worth, but it also provides girls with a chance to "develop a self-concept founded on what they can do rather than on how they look" (APA, 2007, p. 37).

Remember religion

Not only does increased spirituality increase mental, emotional, and physical well being, it also provides an important source of identity and purpose outside of what the media says. Additionally, the sense of community provided by a religious congregation helps girls avoid loneliness if their parents are not always available, thus keeping them from turning to media for companionship (APA, 2007, p. 38).

Conclusion

Presented by the media with a society bent on a narrow focus of female identity|one consisting of hyper-sexual attitudes, little clothing and widespread promiscuity|young girls are taught to emulate adult behaviors sooner than their natural pace tells them to do so. The influence of the media and provocative clothing fashions enable them to speed up their sexuality and slow down their inhibitions. Such trends are not without numerous consequences: Multiple studies have shown that behavioral risks (e.g. early sexual activity) and impaired development of healthy sexual perceptions are common among young women exposed to over-sexualized media. Early sexual activity brings with it a basketful of complications that impact physical, emotional, and mental health. There are several ways in which parents can intervene and combat the media's sexualized grip on their daughters. The over-sexualized society has its talons in the shopping malls and oozes its influence through every facet of the media, but parents can and should take an active role in its influence within their home and in the lives of their daughters|because the laundry list of risks is certainly worth avoiding.

Written by Katie Hawkes, Research Assistant, and edited by Sarah Coyne and Stephen F. Duncan, Professors in the School of Family Life, Brigham Young University.

References

American Psychological Association Task Force on the Sexualization of Girls. (2007). Report of the APA task force on the sexualization of girls. Washington D.C.: American Psychological Association.

Arnett, J. J. (2000). Emerging adulthood: A theory of development from the late teens through the twenties. American Psychologist, 55, 469-480.

Baran, S. J. (1976). Sex on TV and adolescent sexual self-image. Journal of Broadcasting, 20, 61-68.

Brown, J. D., & Lu, A. S. (2007). Sex, media impact on. In Encyclopedia of Children, Adolescents, and the Media, 2, 753-755. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.

Centers for Disease Control (2004). Trends in reportable sexually transmitted diseases in the united states. Sexually Transmitted Disease Surveillance.

Chock, T. M. (2007). Sex in television, perceived realism of. In Encyclopedia of Children, Adolescents, and the Media, 2, 758-759. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.

Collins, R., Elliott, M., Berry, S., Kanouse, D., Kunkel, D., Hunter, S., & Miu, A. (2004). Watching sex on television predicts adolescent initiation of sexual behavior. Pediatrics 114 (3), 280-289.

Cook, D. T. & Kaiser, S. B. (2004). Betwixt and between: Age ambiguity and the sexualization of the female consuming subject. Journal of Consumer Culture, 4, 203-227.

Duffy, M., & Gotcher, J. M. (1996). Crucial advice on how to get the guy: The rhetorical vision of power and seduction in the teen magazine YM. Journal of Communication Inquiry, 20, 32-48.

Frederickson, B. L., & Harrison, K. (1997). Objectification theory: Toward understanding women's lived experience and mental health risks. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 21, 173-206.

Gow, J. (1996). Reconsidering gender roles on MTV: Depictions in the most popular music videos of the early 1990s. Communication Reports, 9, 151-161.

Grauerholz, E., & King, A. (1997). Primetime sexual harassment. Violence Against Women, 3, 129-148.

Kirby, D. (1997). No easy answers: Research findings on programs to reduce teen pregnancy. National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy.

Kornblum, J. (2005). Adults question MySpace's safety. USA Today. Retrieved February 9, 2009.

Kunkel, D., Cope, K., Farinola, W., Biely, E., Rollin, E., & Donnerstein, E. (2000). Sexual messages on entertainment TV in the USA. Children in the New Media Landscape, 155-158.

Lamb, S., & Brown, L. M. (2006). Packaging girlhood: Rescuing our daughters from marketers' schemes. New York: St. Martin's Press.

Liebau, C.P. (2007). Prude: How the sex-obsessed culture damages girls. New York: Hachette Book Group USA.

Lindner, K. (2004). Images of women in general interest and fashion advertisements from 1955 to 2002. Sex Roles, 51, 409-421.

Maine, M. (2000). Body wars: Making peace with women's bodies. Carlsbad, CA: Gurze Books.

Nichter, M. (2000). Fat talk: What girls and their parents say about dieting. Cambridge: MA: Harvard University Press.

Orr, D. P., Beiter, M., & Ingersoll, G. (1991). Premature sexual activity as an indicator of psychosocial risk. Pediatrics, 8 (22), 141-147.

Pardun, C. J., L'Engle, K. L., & Brown, J. D. (2005). Linking exposure to outcomes: Early adolescents' consumption of sexual content in sex media. Mass Communication & Society, 8 (2), 75-91.

Roberts, D., Foehr, U., & Rideout, V. (2005). Generation M: Media in the lives of 8-18 year olds. Menlo Park, CA: Kaiser Family Foundation.

Stice, E., & Shaw, H. (2003). Prospective relations of body image, eating, and affective disturbances to smoking onset in adolescent girls: How Virginia slims. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 71, 129-135.

Taylor, L. D. & Hansen, D. L. (2007). Sexual information, Internet/magazines and. In Encyclopedia of Children, Adolescents, and the Media, 2, 763-765. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.

Ward, L. M. (2003). Understanding the role of entertainment media in the sexual socialization of American youth: A review of empirical research. Developmental Review, 23, 347-388.

Wolf, N. (1991). The beauty myth: How images of beauty are used against women. New York: Anchor Books.

• kc89 posted at 3:28 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

kc89 Posts: 4

p.s. i really hope you are one of those boys

• kc89 posted at 3:27 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

kc89 Posts: 4

boys on this campus lose my respect everyday with their short shorts, croakies, and dumb frat t-shirts

• childplease posted at 3:13 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

childplease Posts: 2

This isn't sexist. In a downtown setting nobody takes the time to have a conversation with someone before judgement. You're judged based on your appearance. Girls do it too.

Being offended has no effect on what judgements people make of you.

• dalton posted at 3:05 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

dalton Posts: 1

Well... While I agree with the fact that the presumption that women dress to impress men is wrong... I find comparison between the the commentary (or lack-thereof) in this article and the following article (which implies that that MEN should dress to impress WOMEN more) interesting.

Granted... It could (hopefully) be a satire. But as has become the usual with the R&B... If it IS a satire, it's a bad one.

• Squeezul posted at 3:03 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

Squeezul Posts: 1

Gosh, Keith, you forgot to leave me your email so I can send you a picture every morning and you can approve or disapprove of what I'm wearing based on your notion what female modesty should be. Can't wait to see a follow up about women who exhibit too much "promiscuity and 'risk'" and why they were practically begging for a good old fashioned raping!

ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

• arelless posted at 2:43 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

arelless Posts: 5

This is actually appalling. I don't (and I certainly don't think anyone should) actually care at ALL how you asses the girls around you, because frankly your "standards" sound like a personal problem that you shouldn't impose on the rest of us. Girls do not dress up to be girlfriend material for you, they dress up because they feel like it. If any girl did dress up to be girlfriend material for you, I feel sincerely sorry for her, because after reading this article, it is clear that you are the opposite of boyfriend material. As a matter of fact, I think I'd probably be more likely to dress in a risque manner if it prevented guys like you from pursuing me.

I can't believe that the Red and Black would allow such sexist drivel to be posted. I'm actually embarrassed that I go a school where this is an acceptable attitude. Rule number four in comment guidelines says no sexism, but there's no "report" button for this article.

• blisterinthefun posted at 2:31 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

blisterinthefun Posts: 1

Great historical references, Keith! The antebellum south was a not only a swell time for fashion, but also for human rights- certainly better than the 20s, when those pesky little prostitutes got the right to vote. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to cover up my ankles and prepare for my eventual death in childbirth.

• ukuleah posted at 2:05 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

ukuleah Posts: 1

"Independent student newspaper risks losing respect with sexist article choices."

• Missmeggo posted at 2:03 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

Missmeggo Posts: 1

Yeah, because the real issue here is definitely what women are wearing and not the implicit assumptions men make about women based only on what they wear.

• 5x5 posted at 2:00 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

5x5 Posts: 1

Wow, Finally a clarion voice of wisdom on how to blame victims of sexual assault for the violence committed upon them; finally a keen, even-tempered mind letting us know how to use our bodies for their true purpose: be objects who dress and act solely for your approval. finally, a cisgendered white guy who knows EXACTLY what women need to do and how women need to behave.

thank you, Keith, thank you from the bottom of the brick I want to chuck at your stupid, smug, entitled face.

• Alex posted at 1:50 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

Alex Posts: 2

hey dude, if you´re going to tell women what they have to do with their lives, how to dress,etc. Can they start with you too? For example, that weird fuzzy upper lip thing you got going on. It´s gotta go.

• jenhicks09 posted at 1:49 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

jenhicks09 Posts: 1

Yesterday, I bought a shirt that I really liked, but no guys complimented me on it...so I had to return it :(

• omrflrs posted at 1:41 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

omrflrs Posts: 1

This article should be titled "Women Risk Losing Sanity With Baseless Sexist Articles".

• Alex posted at 1:41 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

Alex Posts: 2

hahaha and this guy is a Political Science and Public Affairs major. hahaha. Good luck with your political career after this article buddy.
    Someone´s got some mommy issues!

• caimcd posted at 1:39 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

caimcd Posts: 1

Woah, dude. I think you need to re-access your importance in this situation. I am way into fashion and when I go into a store or on a blog and I see a sheer shirt my first thought isn't "I hope this random dude respects me in this shirt" it's "WOW! this is creative and awesome and I haven't seen this styled like this before and I really dig it!" Do you see where you fit into that thought? No where. Do you really think a girl downtown wearing a sheer shirt over a bra wants to date you? How many fruitful relationships actually result from clubbing? Probably not many. Your lack of respect says much more about you than it does about a woman making autonomous choices about what she wears.

• notimpressed posted at 1:32 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

notimpressed Posts: 1

This may be news to you, but I, as a woman, do not make my wardrobe choices based on what men think. I may dress up for an occasion or take it down a notch sometimes, but I don't do it thinking *clutching pearls* "Will he think I'm pretty, sexy, but not giving too much away?" I dress for my body and what makes me feel confident.

Your article is so patronizing to women (we need to be talked down to by a nice southern gentleman who is concerned for how other men perceive us), it frankly sickens me.

• Queenie posted at 1:30 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

Queenie Posts: 1

Seriously? Women will dress however they like, regardless of your opinions on their clothing choices. They're expressing their style and aren't always trying to lure in the next man with their outifts like you assume. It's not all about impressing other people, it's about wearing what you like and how it makes you feel. Now you're going to decide who to be with based on their clothing choices? This article upsets me that women can't do as they please without "loss of respect." Good thing men don't go around wearing "sheer," scandalous materials.

• almostthere posted at 1:28 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

almostthere Posts: 16

I'm sure women love to her your obviously correct opinion on what they should wear /sarcasm

• rachelstan posted at 1:27 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

rachelstan Posts: 1

This is really a pretty horrific article. Your biases and assumptions are immense. Not all women get dressed in the morning simply to be evaluated as potential sexual partners all day long by any man who walks by. Even if a women is wearing what men deem to be "too sexy" or "risky", that does not necessarily mean that they want sexual attention from you.

Perhaps the worst part of this whole article is when you go on about how much you enjoy watching women in skimpy clothes, but would never think about dating them. What does that say about you and the millions of men like you? You are happy to enjoy (on the streets or elsewhere) tiny, tight, short, revealing women's fashion, but you wouldn't date a woman in such clothes? You're happy to enjoy looking at their bodies, but immediately, totally write them off without bothering to look into their personality.

• Fiona Bell posted at 1:17 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

Fiona Bell Posts: 4

This is sickening -- since when did a woman's fashion choices determine her validity as a person? Since when did it become a woman's responsibility to prove her worth to a man?

I'm sorry that the choices some women make with their bodies render you so profoundly uncomfortable -- but I'm glad to hear that you won't be "taking them seriously" as dating prospects. Everyone deserves, at a minimum, to be treated as a human being with dignity, and I fear that this idea would not be a part of your courtship.

• Fiona Bell posted at 1:16 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

Fiona Bell Posts: 4

• audioofbeing posted at 1:11 pm on Wed, Sep 12, 2012.

audioofbeing Posts: 1

I can't think of a nice way to say this, so: Who do you think you are?

The presumption leaking from this vile canker of an article is pretty intense. Do you have more things you would like women to do with their bodies to get the appropriate amount of attention from you and other Men®? What type of sneakers should they wear to properly tweak your assessment of the risk they pose to you, should you deign to have sex with them? What other thoughts do you have on the women you are constantly evaluating as sex partners? If you were dating a girl and she foolishly and shamefully wore some of those newfangled shortpants, would you break up with her? How often do you call women degrading names, just on the average day? Did you have to delete those names like fifty billion times while stitching this article together from the crusty debris of your sense of entitlement? What's the deal with airline food?

Congrats on going public with your terrible opinions about women though, it'll make it easier for people to filter you out of the dating pool with a little google time. Bold move, camper, but I think it's for the best.