• September 3, 2015
    |
    ||

Bulldog LB Dowtin faced assault charge in Maryland - The Red and Black : Sports

Bulldog LB Dowtin faced assault charge in Maryland

Posted: Tuesday, January 4, 2011 9:18 am

The hits – off the field – keep on coming from Georgia football players.

Bulldog linebacker Marcus Dowtin was charged with second-degree assault in his home state of Maryland in connection with a May 29 fight, but Worcester County District Court officials will not proceed with the charges against him, according to published reports.

This marks the 12th Bulldog player arrested in 2010.

Dowtin, who was the Bulldogs' fourth-leading tackler this season with 57, was held out of the Liberty Bowl by a “coach’s decision". Georgia head coach Mark Richt was not aware of the incident until Monday.

According to a police report obtained by the Athens-Banner Herald, a man was left unconscious and bleeding at an Ocean City bar following the alleged assault by Dowtin. According to the report, a police officer looking at security footage “observed Dowtin to swing his arm and closed fist and strike (the victim) in the right side of the (victim’s) head. I observed (the victim) immediately fall to the ground, unconscious.”

Dowtin was not arrested, but a summons was issued for him on June 22, according to the District Court of Maryland website. At a Dec. 21 in Maryland, his case was resolved in Worcester County District Court.