• September 2, 2015
    |
    ||

Countdown the days: UGA students eagerly awaiting football season - The Red and Black : Sports

Countdown the days: UGA students eagerly awaiting football season

Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 12:30 pm | Updated: 7:57 am, Tue Aug 20, 2013.

The 2013 football season is approaching quickly, and Georgia students are preparing for what promises to be another exciting year for the Bulldogs.

Dillon Cauley — a biology major from Nashville, Tenn.—expressed just how excited he and many other students are for the upcoming season.

“Football season in Athens is the highlight of my year,” Cauley said. “I couldn’t be more ready to watch the Dawgs ‘Between the Hedges.'”

For students, the game day atmosphere is rife with notable traditions and experiences. Kelly Whitcomb and Mary Bryan both stated their favorite things about a Saturday in Athens.

“My favorite thing is the energy you feel in the stadium,” Whitcomb said, “and how passionate the students, players/coaches and fans feel about their team. It makes you feel like you're part of one big family.”

“As a Redcoat [band member], my favorite part of the games are always the halftime show, of course,” Bryan said. “Or maybe the Dawg Walk. Those two kind of tie for me.”

Of course, just as important as any of the time-honored activities on game day is who Georgia plays: Southeastern Conference foes and heated rivals all headline the 2013 schedule.

Brian Garcia — a Digital and Broadcast Journalism major from Lawrenceville — has a couple of key things he is looking forward to in the fall.

“I’m looking most forward to seeing us get revenge on the Gamecocks,” Garcia said. “Also, I’m looking forward to seeing us beat up on the Gators.

Grady Duthler — a Russian major from Napa, CA — is skeptical of how well the Bulldogs’ defense will play, as are many other Georgia fans.

“I’m looking forward to see how well our defense adapts,” Duthler said. “I’m not sure what to expect after the losses on defense.”

Another student, Spencer Sumner — a Mass Media Arts major from Greensboro — offered her thoughts on the new season.

“I get giddy thinking about the many victory dances I plan on doing,” Sumner said. “At the beginning of the game, the promo video with Larry Munson’s voice always gives me chills. I'm looking forward to our exciting home schedule and sticking it to whomever we meet at the Southeastern Conference Championship.”

This group of Georgia students also named a variety of players that they think will perform well for the Bulldogs.

“My favorite player used to be [Bacarri] Rambo, but now it’s probably [Keith] Marshall,” Duthler said, most likely because he called Marshall’s 75-yard touchdown run against Tennessee last year.

“Chris Conley is my favorite player,” Cauley said. “He’s a solid dude on and off the field. He's going to have a breakout year.”

These students are excited for the return of Georgia football, and all share the belief that the team will adjust and make a strong push for another shot at the SEC Championship.

“We have a ton of new starters on defense,” Cauley said. “Hopefully they can step up and pull their weight. Our offense is solid with a ton of returning starters. I expect us to put up a lot of points.

“I expect them to preform very well,” Whitcomb said. “The football team has a lot of talented players. I feel like there is also a motivation to bounce back after the heart-breaking loss to Alabama in the SEC Championship.”