• August 5, 2015
    |
    ||

Dowtin lands in North Alabama as transfers keep on going - The Red and Black : Sports

Dowtin lands in North Alabama as transfers keep on going

Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 3:37 pm

Another former Georgia football player has found Alabama a new place to call home.

Ex-Bulldog linebacker Marcus Dowtin has signed with North Alabama, according to the Times Daily in Florence, Ala., and has one season of eligibility remaining. Dowtin played in 10 games for the Bulldogs last season, starting two of them, and finished fourth on the team with 57 tackles.

“I had committed to play at Northwest Missouri, but UNA had been on my mind since I visited here,” Dowtin told the Times Daily. “I saw a lot of things here that I liked. The staff and the facilities are great, and coach (Terry) Bowden’s background was also a factor in my decision.”

Dowtin joins former Bulldog teammate Washaun Ealey in transferring to an Alabama college to continue his playing career. Ealey has transferred to Jacksonville State (Ala.), a Football Championship Subdivision program, where he will play right away and have two years of eligibility remaining.

It's been a busy couple of months for football transfers from UGA, as five players have left the team since the end of last season.

On Sunday redshirt freshman offensive lineman Brent Benedict announced he's leaving for “personal reasons,” according to a statement from head coach Mark Richt. In May offensive lineman A.J. Harson also cited “personal reasons” for leaving the program. Harmon was redshirted in 2008 and appeared in seven games over the past two seasons in an offensive line backup role.

Earlier this year, Georgia quarterback-turned-wide receiver Logan Gray transferred to University of Colorado his final year of eligibility. Gray will be able to play right away because he's pursuing a master’s degree.