• November 30, 2015

Football Notebook: Starters will not rest against Florida Atlantic, no kicking coach for Morgan - The Red and Black : Sports

Football Notebook: Starters will not rest against Florida Atlantic, no kicking coach for Morgan

Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 1:22 pm | Updated: 4:32 pm, Fri Sep 14, 2012.

With a Florida Atlantic team who went 1-11 last season coming to Athens, there was some speculation Wednesday that Georgia head coach Mark Richt might want to sit out some of his star players to give them ample to time to get healthy for Vanderbilt.

Richt stopped those comments right in their tracks.

“I think guys want to play. In the NFL you get paid, in college you get to play and I think they all want to play,” Richt said. “We want to be careful no matter who we’re playing with these guys, but I think they all want to play.”

Yet, Richt is still being careful when it comes to wide receiver Malcolm Mitchell’s ankle. Mitchell will probably only play on the defensive side of the ball.

“If he had been healthier from the very beginning I think he would have gotten more reps offensively and I’m not saying that he wont on offense,” Richt said. “But it has just been a little difficult to do. I don’t want to use him on offense until I know he is feeling great”.

Kicker's mechanics not up for outside influence

Georgia kicker Marshall Morgan went 2/2 on his field goals on Saturday against Missouri, with his longest kick being 52 yards.

Yet, Morgan also missed an extra point.

Richt said on Wednesday that his freshman kicker doesn't need a kicking coach.

“Here is the thing about kicking coaches — they're a little bit like golf coaches. I know some guys growing up have a golf coach,” Richt said. “The guy has been teaching him to swing that club his entire life, and that’s the guy that he leans on. I think it’s the same thing as with kicking with coaches that are used to teaching you, and you come to Georgia or anywhere else and some guy tries to change your fundamentals it might blow them up”.

Richt likes to "leave [his kickers] alone."

“Sometimes I think there is a little bit of a blessing that were not trying to mess them up,” Richt said. “I try to leave them alone because they know a lot more about it than I do. I might say something here and there to boost his confidence”.

Tight ends not getting discouraged

Bulldog tight ends have only one reception after two games, a 15-yard reception by redshirt freshman Jay Rome.

Rome shares time with tight end Arthur Lynch throughout the game, and Lynch thinks the dearth of catches at the position is just a matter of coincidence.

“I think it just has a lot to do with the progression of the quarterback and their reads and just trying to work through it,” Lynch said. “We have been out there; the ball just hasn’t gone our way. I don’t think it’s a personal thing. I don’t think it’s a thing in the scheme, I just think there have been a lot of opportunities elsewhere and that’s how it worked out.”

Lynch said he wants to catch the ball, but he is content with doing what he is asked.

“Obviously every guy comes here and they want to make plays, but if my number is called to block 50 plays a game, I will block 50 plays a game, and if we win, I don’t really care,” he said. “If my name is called and says run 50 routes a game and catch 12 balls then I’m not going to feel any better or worse about myself."