• August 1, 2015
    |
    ||

Football Notebook: Jarvis Jones still feeling effects of groin injury - The Red and Black : Football

Football Notebook: Jarvis Jones still feeling effects of groin injury

Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2012 8:52 am | Updated: 10:15 am, Fri Oct 5, 2012.

All-American linebacker Jarvis Jones sat out with an injured groin in Georgia’s third game of the season against Florida Atlantic.

In the first two games of the season, Jones recorded 14 tackles, three forced fumbles, and three and a half sacks.

The past two games Jones has accumulated 15 tackles, zero forced fumbles, and one sack.

With the linebacker not getting to the quarterback as much, there is some speculation that his groin may still be bothering him.

Richt also has a feeling that his star linebacker is still feeling the affects of the injury, but knows that Jones won’t let it stop him.

“I don’t know if he would say that it is bothering him, but I have a feeling it’s not 100 percent right now,” he said. “He is not going to sit there and make excuses, but I don’t think it’s 100 percent. There is a different speed in practice then there is in games so we have to wait until the games to see him. No matter how hard you go in practice you can’t make up for the adrenaline rush you get in games. That cures a lot of things. “

Murray already a proven player

Aaron Murray’s performances in big games have been less than stellar.

The Georgia quarterback is 2-7 against ranked opponents in his three years as the starting quarterback.

Murray will have a chance to prove he is a big time player against No. 6 South Carolina (5-0,3-0 SEC) this weekend in arguably the biggest game of his career at Georgia.

While Georgia head coach Mark Richt wants nothing but a win from his team, he does not believe that his quarterback needs a signature win to solidify his spot as a premier quarterback.

Richt used Texas A&M’s freshman quarterback Johnny Manziel as an example of a quarterback in need of a stellar game against a big name opponent early in their career.

“I think some quarterbacks need that earlier in their career,” Richt said. “Some where along the way they need to play in such a way that the team has some faith that this guy can do it. Sometimes it happens to a kid early on in his career. It’s like the kid over in Texas A&M. Even though they lost the game against Florida he played pretty darn good and has continued to. Even though they lost that game I would think most of their fans, coaches, and teammates would say this guy can do it.”

In terms of Richt’s definition of a signature victory Murray has already surpassed it.

“I think in terms of a signature victory I think of one that validates him as the leader and a guy that can be the man. I think he has already done that,” he said.

Two receptions for Jay Rome

Georgia tight end Jay Rome shares time with Arthur Lynch, however, Lynch has three times the amount of receptions than Rome.

Richt explained that an early season injury has hindered Rome’s progress a little.

“I think right before the season began he had a hamstring injury or some type of pull,” he said. “I don’t remember if it kept him out of the first game. I feel like the first game we weren’t sure if he was going to go or not go so I think that slowed down his progress a little bit.”

It is not that the redshirt freshman isn’t getting open, but it has to do with the progressions of the quarterback.

Often times the tight end position is not the first option for the quarterback, and he generally checks down to his tight end.

“I think at the tight end position he is going to continue to catch balls,” Richt said. “Sometimes [Arthur Lynch] is in the game when the number is called and sometimes Jay is in the game. When I say the number is called it’s not even that. We will call routes and if the progression leads us to the tight end we will go them. We have faith in those guys we like them.”