• March 26, 2015
    |
    ||

Grantham responds to Spurrier's jab - The Red and Black : Football

Grantham responds to Spurrier's jab

Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:23 pm

Todd Grantham joined the ever-expanding list of opponents South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier has taken a passing shot at on Saturday, when Spurrier poked fun at Grantham over Georgia’s inability to stop their inside zone play.

On Tuesday, Grantham took his turn, poking fun back at Spurrier’s “lack of success” in the NFL.

“That little inside zone play, the NFL doesn’t run that play. That’s a new scheme I guess,” Spurrier said in his post-game press conference after his 17-6 win. “I’m sure they knew we’d run it, but they certainly didn’t stop it much.”

When asked about Spurrier's barb Grantham quipped:

“It was kind of an out-of-left field comment, you know, but I kind of took it more as a shot at the NFL, so I really wasn’t sure if it was because of his lack of success there or what. So I kind of took it like that more than anything.”

Grantham said he was made aware of Spurrier’s comments through a text message.

“Yeah that was texted to me,” Grantham said when initally asked if he had heard Spurrier's comments. “I appreciate his assistance, but we actually knew what plays they were running. And they actually run that play in pro ball. Our offense actually runs that play, too, so we kind of knew what was happening. I read it.”

Spurrier spent two years as a head coach in the NFL — 2002 and 2003 — posting a 12-20 record with the Washington Redskins.

Grantham came to Georgia after an 11-year stint in the NFL as an assistant coach, three years of which he spent as the defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns. Spurrier and Grantham faced off just once in the NFL, in 2002 when Spurrier’s Redskins beat Grantham’s Houston Texans 26-10.