• June 2, 2015
    |
    ||

Former Basketball Player Jaleesa Rhoden Awarded Postgraduate Scholarship - The Red and Black : Sports

Former Basketball Player Jaleesa Rhoden Awarded Postgraduate Scholarship

Posted: Friday, August 3, 2012 4:08 pm

Former Univeristy of Georgia Lady Bulldog basketball player Jaleesa Rhoden is one of five winners of the John McLendon Minority Postgraduate Scholarship Award, according to an announcement this week by the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics and the John McLendon Minority Scholarship foundation.

The winners of the John McClendon Minority Postgraduate Scholarship Award will each receive a $10,000 grant to be used towards postgraduate studies in athletics administration. 

Rhoden, a London, Ontario, native, earned dual bachelor’s degrees from UGA in May 2011, in business management and consumer economics. As a member of the Lady Bulldogs, she was a Dean’s List honoree, named to the Athletic Director’s Honor Roll and the SEC Academic Honor Roll. Rhoden also works with the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee and volunteers fir the Special Olympics and Toys for Tots.

After choosing not to play her senior year due to injuries, Rhoden served as the color analyst for Georgia women’s basketball games. Rhoden was a member of teams that compiled four NCAA Tournament bids and advanced to two “Sweet 16s.” Rhoden also helped the 2009-10 squad start the season with a 16-0 record, the best start in the history of the Lady Bulldog basketball program.

Rhoden is currently pursuing her master’s in kinesiology, with an emphasis on sport management and policy at UGA. She is also working as a graduate assistant in the Compliance department of the UGA Athletic Association.

Minorities (as defined by federal guidelines) who intend to pursue a postgraduate degree in athletics administration are eligible for the scholarships. Students were required to have a minimum grade point average of a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale and have demonstrated leadership qualities on an institutional or community level. This year’s other winners are Stephanie Baugh, Kansas; Orlando Gunn, LSU; Marcus Hilliard, Tennessee; and Jacqueline Leung, Denver.

2 comments:

• MidnightRider posted at 10:54 pm on Sun, Aug 5, 2012.

MidnightRider Posts: 3

This is what it means to be a "student-athlete" - - need more like Jaleesa Rhoden !

• lakelady posted at 1:22 pm on Sat, Aug 4, 2012.

lakelady Posts: 1

Congratulations Jaleesa. The honor is well deserved. Well written article. [smile]