• July 6, 2015
    |
    ||

Georgia defensive lineman arrested, charged with license violation - The Red and Black : Sports

Georgia defensive lineman arrested, charged with license violation

Posted: Friday, June 7, 2013 7:39 pm | Updated: 4:10 pm, Tue Jul 2, 2013.

Georgia's "Click It Or Ticket" initiative is evidently taken seriously by the UGA Police Department, as one Georgia football player learned on Friday.

Freshman defensive tackle John Atkins, a 6-foot-4, 322-pound Thomson, Ga. native, was on his way to the Georgia Driver’s License office in Thomson for a 4:30 p.m. appointment to take care of an issue with his license when he was arrested by UGA police. He was booked into the Athens-Clarke County jail at 3:32 p.m. on charges of failure to have a license and seat belt violation. He was released at 4:07 p.m. on a bond of $1,000.

Atkins was meeting his mother so that he could obtain the required birth certificate and social security card to resolve the issue, according to Georgia Sports Communications.

Atkins was pulled over for a seat belt violation and subsequently arrested for driving by himself with only a learner's permit, according to the Athens Banner-Herald. This was apparently the reason Atkins was returning to his home in Thomson.

“I am aware of the situation involving John Atkins, and the discipline will be handled internally. It will not involve any playing time," head coach Mark Richt said in a statement.

1 comment:

• TexasDawg posted at 6:00 pm on Sat, Jun 8, 2013.

TexasDawg Posts: 3

This is an arrestable offense? Seriously? Do campus cops have nothing else to do?? Give him a ticket for a seat belt violation and then move on to the next student you want to harass!!