• July 28, 2015
    |
    ||

Georgia diving coach to serve as USA assistant - The Red and Black : Sports

Georgia diving coach to serve as USA assistant

Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 12:00 am

Georgia diving coach Dan Laak has been named assistant coach for the coming FINA World Championships in Rome, Italy.

Laak will lead a group of 13 divers, including former Georgia diver Chris Colwill, into the event that will be held from July 18-25.

The Team USA Diving staff and final roster of competitors for the World Championships were announced at the conclusion of the AT&T USA Diving Grand Prix, where Laak helped coach Colwill to a third place finish in the 3-meter springboard and in the 3-meter synchronized springboard event, this past weekend.

At the World Championships, Colwill is scheduled to compete on the 1- and 3-meter springboard events.

"It is an honor and a privilege to be named as the assistant coach," Laak said. "I look forward to heading over there and seeing what we can do in bringing back some medals.

"Chris has been diving well lately and hopefully he can go over and bring back a medal," Laak said. "This is the first stage of making the 2012 Olympic Team, so we are looking forward to performing at our best and seeing what happens."

Laak just concluded his 22nd season on the Georgia swimming and diving coaching staff. This past season, he helped sophomore diver Hannah Moore obtain two Honorable Mention All-America honors at the 2009 NCAA Championships.

- Georgia Sports Communications