• June 2, 2015
    |
    ||

Georgia ranked second overall in SEC Academic Honor Roll, first in football - The Red and Black : Sports

Georgia ranked second overall in SEC Academic Honor Roll, first in football

Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 6:22 pm | Updated: 12:35 pm, Fri Mar 22, 2013.

The University of Georgia’s 57 student-athletes named to the Fall Southeastern Conference Academic Honor Roll is the second most of any SEC school. 

Georgia may rank second overall, but it is first in football with 38 student-athletes named to the honor roll.

The overall ranking includes football, soccer and volleyball — Georgia’s three fall sports.

The SEC schools rounding out the top five for football honorees include Vanderbilt with 36, Alabama with 29, South Carolina with 28 and Missouri with 26.

In the overall category, South Carolina has the most on the honor roll with 74 followed by Georgia (57), Vanderbilt (55), Florida (46) and Kentucky (46).

South Carolina leads the pack by such a large margin because it also fields a men’s soccer program in addition to football, women’s soccer and volleyball.

The Fall SEC Academic Honor Roll is determined by taking the grades from the 2012 spring, summer, and fall terms. The honorees are then chosen based on the following criteria.

The student athlete must have a grade point average of at least a 3.00 or above from the previous academic year or a cumulative grade GPA of 3.00 or above at the nominating school.

If the student-athlete attends summer school, the GPA from the summer session must also be included in calculations.

Student-athletes eligible for the honor roll can either be receiving an athletic scholarship, an athletic award such as being a letter winner, or a non-scholarship athlete on a varsity team for at least two seasons.

Before nomination, student-athletes have to have completed 24 semester or 36 quarter hours of non-remedial academic credit towards a BA degree at the nominating school.

Finally, student-athletes must have been a member of a varsity team for the sport’s entire NCAA Championship season.