• August 1, 2015
    |
    ||

Georgia's Aaron Murray named Manning Award finalist - The Red and Black : Sports

Georgia's Aaron Murray named Manning Award finalist

Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 5:57 pm | Updated: 11:52 am, Thu Nov 29, 2012.

Georgia senior quarterback Aaron Murray has been named one of 10 finalists for the 2012 Manning Award, according to an announcement from the award and the Allstate Sugar Bowl.

Murray, Alabama junior AJ McCarron and Texas A&M freshman Johnny Manziel are three players on the list from the Southeastern Conference. During the regular season, Murray was one of the award’s Stars of the Week twice.

The winner will be announced after the bowls on Wednesday, Jan. 9, and will be honored at a ceremony in New Orleans. The Manning Award was created by the Allstate Sugar Bowl in honor of the college football accomplishments of Archie, Peyton and Eli Manning. It is the only quarterback award that takes the candidates’ bowl performances into consideration in its balloting.

Murray, a 6-1, 210-pound native of Tampa, Fla., has developed into one of the nation’s elite at his position. He has been named a finalist for Wuerffel Trophy and a semifinalist for the Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award. He became the first SEC quarterback in history to have three consecutive 3,000-yard passing seasons after completing 14-of-17 for 215 yards and two touchdowns versus Georgia Tech last week.

Murray leads the SEC in passing efficiency at 177.2. In his 27 wins as a starter, he has 69 TDs to just 15 INTs. Murray is the SEC’s leading active player in total offensive yards (9,618, which is 10th in SEC history), completions (660), TD responsibility (99, which is fifth in SEC history), TD passes (89, which is tied for second SEC history) and passing yards (9,399).