• May 5, 2015
    |
    ||

Gym Dog injures thumb, expected to return within month - The Red and Black : Sports

Gym Dog injures thumb, expected to return within month

Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2013 4:00 pm | Updated: 12:10 pm, Fri Mar 22, 2013.

Georgia gymnast Noel Couch is out with a broken thumb.

The senior hurt her thumb a few days before the opening meet of the season against Oklahoma.

Although Couch is injured, the recovery time is short, according to Georgia head coach Danna Durante.

“With vault and floor being mainly palm impact events,” Durante said. “She should be back much quicker.”

Beam and bars will take longer to be back to full strength because of the need to grip the apparatus.

“We pretty much need her only on vault and floor, to relieve Chelsea [Davis] a bit with her knee,” Durante said. “It should be a couple weeks until we start easing her back in.”

Davis had surgery on her knee during preseason workouts.

She competed on vault and bars in the opener.

Some of the struggles the Gym Dogs had against Oklahoma could have come from Couch's absence — a regular in the all-around.

“It plays a little bit of a factor, but we had backups,” junior Lindsey Cheek said. “We really can’t rely on that. We’re going to get her back, and that’s all we’re looking towards.”

Couch had competed the all around in a school-record 28-straight meets for the Gym Dogs before having to sit out against Oklahoma.

Couch declined to comment on the situation until after her first meet back.