• June 3, 2015
    |
    ||

Jarvis Jones named All-SEC Defensive Player of the Year, several others earn All-SEC honors - The Red and Black : Sports

Jarvis Jones named All-SEC Defensive Player of the Year, several others earn All-SEC honors

Posted: Monday, December 3, 2012 5:35 pm | Updated: 5:44 pm, Mon Jan 7, 2013.

Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones has been named the Associated Press SEC Defensive Player of the Year.

Jones totaled 77 tackles, including 22.5 tackles for loss and 12.5 sacks, one interception, seven forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries in 11 games this season. He is the NCAA's active leader in forced fumbles per game and tackles for loss per game. Jones’ 22.5 tackles for loss this season ranks second in school history behind David Pollack’s 23.5 in 2002.

Georgia's outside linebacker was a unanimous decision.

Jones was not the only Bulldogs honored on the 2012 AP All-SEC team that was announced Monday.

Tailback Todd Gurley — Georgia's first true freshman to be named to the All-SEC first team since A.J. Green in 2008 — joined Jones as the only members of the Bulldog squad to make the first team. Gurley has accumulated 1,260 yards and 16 touchdowns this season, and is just the second true freshman in school history to rush for 1,000 yards. He ranks second in the SEC and first among running backs with 96.9 rushing yards per game.

Senior nose guard John Jenkins, junior linebacker Alec Ogletree and senior safety Bacarri Rambo were voted to the second team.

Other than Gurley, the only offensive player named was junior quarterback Aaron Murray who was an honorable mention.

Jenkins has recorded 50 tackles this year, 17 of which happened in the Bulldogs' last two contests. This total combines with two tackles for loss, a fumble recovery and 15 quarterback pressures.

Ogletree leads the team with 98 tackles in just nine games, and has led the team in that category in the last five games. He has been the team’s leading tackler in the last five games. 

Rambo has recorded three interceptions in nine games this season and 16 for his career — tied for first with Jake Scott in school history. He is second on the team with three forced fumbles, has 67 takedowns.

Murray has thrown for 3,466 yards and 31 touchdowns this season, becoming the first quarterback in SEC history to throw for 3,000-plus yards in three straight seasons. He ranks first all-time in school history with 91 career touchdown passes. 

The Bulldogs (11-2) will face Nebraska (10-3) in the Capital One Bowl in Orlando, Fla., on Jan. 1.