• July 30, 2015
    |
    ||

Murray, Gurley named to Maxwell Award Watch List - The Red and Black : Sports

Murray, Gurley named to Maxwell Award Watch List

Posted: Monday, July 8, 2013 1:00 pm | Updated: 4:18 pm, Thu Jul 11, 2013.

Two of Georgia's biggest offensive contributors from last season are expected to have strong campaigns again in 2013, and this year they could be taking home some hardware.

Bulldogs senior quarterback Aaron Murray and sophomore tailback Todd Gurley have been named to the 2013 Maxwell Award Watch List, according to an announcement Monday by the Maxwell Football Club. Winners of the Maxwell Award, which is given annually to the collegiate player of the year, will be announced on December 12.

Murray, one of the nation's elite signal-callers, should expect to find himself on multiple preseason watch lists this fall after he posted a 174.82 passer efficiency rating in 2012 while guiding Georgia to consecutive SEC East titles and a Capital One Bowl victory over Nebraska.

In 28 wins as a starter, Murray has 74 touchdowns to just 16 interceptions. He is the SEC's leading active player in total offensive yards (10,301), completions (696), touchdown responsibility (105), touchdown passes (95) and passing yards (10,091).

Gurley was a 2012 Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) Freshman All-American after rushing for 1,385 yards, which ranks sixth in school history for a single season, and 17 touchdowns (a UGA freshman record) on 222 carries.

Only Gurley and Bulldog legend Herschel Walker have tallied 1,000-yard seasons in their true freshman seasons. Gurley finished 2012 with nine games where he went for at least 100 yards rushing, which ranks third in school history for a season. 

Charley Trippi (1946) and Walker (1982) are former Bulldogs who have won the Maxwell Award.

The Bulldogs start the season with a non-conference matchup at Clemson on Aug. 31 at 8 p.m. ABC will televise the game from Memorial Stadium.

1 comment:

• bpitt23 posted at 1:17 pm on Tue, Jul 9, 2013.

bpitt23 Posts: 1

How can Murray have 74 touchdowns and 95 touchdown passes? Also, he has 32 total interceptions for his career. Not trying to be overly critical, but it only took me 2 minutes to find this information on Georgiadogs.com.