• November 27, 2015

Richt's "red out" a ploy unbecoming of his stature - The Red and Black : Sports

Richt's "red out" a ploy unbecoming of his stature

Posted: Friday, September 28, 2012 10:34 am | Updated: 2:53 pm, Mon Nov 12, 2012.

Mark Richt always seems to do everything the proper way.

Just ask him a question at a press conference.

No matter how critical or discourteous the question, his willingness to answer it — if sometimes sarcastically — is unmatched by any other football coach in the country.

Talk to his players.

They would all take a bullet for their coach—a second father, or even first, for many.

Even the guys Richt harshly disciplines love him. Just reference his post-Vanderbilt hug with Bacarri Rambo, following what was presumably the safety’s last game of suspension.

Rambo was suspended for the first four games of his senior season, and still he adores Richt.

Shoot, even the NCAA will tell you Richt handles things appropriately.

If one of his assistants even spends a quarter on a piece of bubble gum for a recruit on a visit, the coach will report himself for a secondary recruiting violation.

Needless to say, Richt is usually right.

But not this time.

On Monday, a caller on Richt’s show requested that the Sanford Stadium faithful participate in a full-fledged “red out” against Tennessee.

Richt embraced the idea yesterday, taking the plan to Twitter to inform “DawgNation” to wear their finest red to Saturday’s contest against one of Georgia's most bitter rivals.

It might sound picky, but Mark Richt should know better.

The whole “color-out” thing hasn’t resonated well in recent history for the Bulldogs.

The “blackout funeral” versus Alabama in 2008 set the tone, a tone that rang true in the Georgia Dome in 2011, when that “red out” failed against Boise State.

This isn’t a knock against the entire notion of a whole stadium wearing the same color, but a knock against the head coach for leading the motion to do so.

This is a guy that told his players last week to avoid getting caught in the “Grantham-Franklin” drama from last year, and just perform on the field.

An argument could be made that this is different — this is for a good cause.

The claims are simple: “Richt just wants the crowd to be loud” or “He doesn’t want his players to get complacent a week before South Carolina.”

I agree, but it doesn’t justify Richt going out of his way to call for a red out. Yes, Richt wants Sanford to be rowdy on Saturday. Why wouldn’t he? And of course he doesn't want his players looking ahead to the Gamecocks.

But that kind of stuff needs to be handled where Richt normally expects his players to handle it — the field.

If Richt coaches his team up right, they won’t be looking ahead to next weekend’s matchup in Columbia. And if Georgia isn’t looking ahead a week, its talent will reign supreme against the Volunteers on Saturday.

Bulldog fans will respect the coach’s wishes — as they should.

However, Richt needs to take a piece of his own advice and just handle everything between the hedges.

If the players and coaches do that, the fans will do their part as well.

• dawgsman81 posted at 8:58 am on Sat, Sep 29, 2012.

dawgsman81 Posts: 1

I get sick of people criticizing the UGA Blackouts. Lest we forget we had two amazing games decked in black prior to the Bama game. That Auburn night game was the most electric games I've ever witnessed, and it started with the crowd who fully embraced the blackout. In New Orleans, the crowd again decked in black was extremely loud and fun. We didn't stop wearing red jerseys based on a single loss, and we shouldn't abandon the black. They should schedule one good night game a year at home and don the black jerseys. Now the 2009 ga/fl jerseys and the power ranger outfits from the Boise st game were horrendous, but the black was just good fashion!

• heyberto posted at 8:02 am on Sat, Sep 29, 2012.

heyberto Posts: 1

I'm pretty sure I'm dumber for having read this. There is nothing about this that says 'fake juice' for the team. This is all for the fans. Why not?

• Thomas Brown UGA posted at 1:44 am on Sat, Sep 29, 2012.

Thomas Brown UGA Posts: 12

"We all know black outs and silly uniforms are fake juice"

How is it irrelevant that Benjamin Wolk brought up the truth that motivation by Mark Richt by wardrobe changes only is never going to work with the facts of what has happened, trying to motivate only by fashion statements, or lack thereof ?

vols are yet our 5th unranked opponent in a row to begin the season, a team who can neither run the football, nor stop the run.

Washington, beat 3-41 by LSU last week, this week prepared itself on the field and took it to # 8 Stanford, ruining Stanford's season last night.

Yet, instead :

SEC against teams who made Top 10 in Mark Richt era :

11 Wins LSU # 1

11 Wins Auburn # 2

10 Wins Florida # 3

6 Wins Alabama # 4

6 Wins vols # 5

4 Wins Arkansas # 6

3 Wins Texas A & M # 7

3 Wins UGA # 8

• Hill Dawg posted at 10:09 pm on Fri, Sep 28, 2012.

Hill Dawg Posts: 1

Mr. Wolk, Please don't try to write a serious article while wearing your cap backwards. it distracts from just about anything you try to convey. Don't wear your cap in the office. Its a reflection on your momma. Don't waste time writing about a red-out when most people will wear red anyway. Certainly not worth your trying to call CMR out. Now, tuck in your shirt, comb your hair and go study a lot more than you have been doing.

• pmaxhen posted at 7:38 pm on Fri, Sep 28, 2012.

pmaxhen Posts: 2

Went out of his way? A fan called a radio station and requested they do it and he agreed it was a good idea and fans should try to pull it off this weekend. Bringing up how we've loss 3 games when we had different uniforms is irreverent and also turning something positive into something negative.

• RedBlackDawg posted at 5:41 pm on Fri, Sep 28, 2012.

RedBlackDawg Posts: 1

Can't disagree more with this article.. I understand you need something to write about, but this is not a gimmick at all. We are wearing our regular red home jerseys with the silver britches and the fans were asked to wear RED! Like we always should! This is a very intelligent move by the caller and coach Richt. Like @dawgstephen said it puts emphasis on THIS game instead of looking ahead to next weeks big matchup. The fans are gonna be rowdy as heck and we are gonna run the vols straight out of the building saturday.

• dawgstephen posted at 3:27 pm on Fri, Sep 28, 2012.

dawgstephen Posts: 1

I am the caller... the reason that its NOT A GIMMICK is that its just the fans doing something.. if you listen to my call, i said NO gimmicks no funny business, just red jerseys, silver britches and red helmets!!

It puts the focus on THIS WEEKS GAME, and not looking ahead to carolina.. besides.. we dont have another home game until NOVEMBER.. so these guys need the fans there and loud in a BIG WAY before hitting the road.

• nsbdawg posted at 2:53 pm on Fri, Sep 28, 2012.

nsbdawg Posts: 2

as a career newspaper guy myself... this is living proof that there are those among us that will search to the ends of the earth to find something to criticize. Perhaps you should take a look at your own shirt and your hat-to-tha-back rendition of a lil wayne outfit before you criticize what the Head Coach is calling for.

• Brandon posted at 2:10 pm on Fri, Sep 28, 2012.

Brandon Posts: 1

It's not a ploy or a gimmick. It's what UGA fans should do, show up in your teams color and be loud. And to say a head coach shouldn't lead a fan base to represent their team this way is asinine. We all know black outs and silly uniforms are fake juice, but to say this falls into that category is a stretch. Here is some advice for you Benjamin, let the sportswriters handle the sports writing.

• DawgGradSpring87 posted at 1:11 pm on Fri, Sep 28, 2012.

DawgGradSpring87 Posts: 1

I agree 100% Benjamin. We don't need gimmicks. We are UGA. Just coach'em up Coach!