• March 6, 2015
    |
    ||

UGA football notebook: Richt talks injuries, bye week - The Red and Black : Sports

UGA football notebook: Richt talks injuries, bye week

• Georgia Football versus South Carolina

Mark Richt (left) and Todd Grantham (right) call plays from the sidelines during a NCAA football game at Sanford Stadium in Athens, Ga., on Saturday, Sept. 7, 2013. (Photo/Taylor Craig Sutton,Taylorcraigsutton@gmail.com)

Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2013 8:30 pm | Updated: 2:42 pm, Tue Oct 1, 2013.

The Bulldogs were somewhat banged up after their emotional 41-30 victory over South Carolina.

Thankfully for No. 9 Georgia (1-1, 1-0 SEC), which returns to top-10 territory after the win, none of those appear to be serious. That is good news for tailback Keith Marshall (knee) and left tackle Kenarious Gates (ankle), both of whom left Saturday's game early.

“Anybody who was injured, including those two, any kind of X-rays that we looked at, everybody’s fine,” head coach Mark Richt said during a Sunday teleconference. “They all came out negative. We’re expecting everybody to be able to play in our next ballgame.”

Gates and Marshall, among others, will have the entirety of the upcoming, conveniently-placed bye week to rest up before Georgia's Sept. 21 game versus North Texas.

The open week will also allow the Bulldogs time to focus on improving their defensive play. Across its first two games, the young unit has allowed 921 yards of total offense and gave up 226 rushing yards to the visiting Gamecocks.

“I think our perimeter is going to get better by virtue of the fact that they’re just experiencing a lot of playing time for the first time. I think they’ll get better as we go,” Richt said.

One area Georgia's head coach mentioned in particular was inside linebacker, where starters Ramik Wilson and Amarlo Herrera have already logged a considerable amount of playing time. 

True freshman Reggie Carter, who recorded seven tackles and an interception during this year's G-Day Game, was named as a player who could help provide interior depth for the Bulldogs.

“I’d like to be able to see us sub a little more at the inside linebacker position, especially Ramik and Amarlo. They’re getting the least amount of help when it comes to substitution. Maybe Reggie [Carter] and some of those other guys can come along and earn the faith of the coaching staff.”

As far as the team's kicking situation is concerned, sophomore Marshall Morgan will indeed return as the team's starter against North Texas. The Fort Lauderdale native was suspended for the Clemson and South Carolina games following a well-publicized arrest for boating under the influence (BUI) on Lake Sinclair in July.

Walk-on sophomore Patrick Beless handled all of Georgia's field goal duties during weeks one and two, making both of his attempts and connecting on all of his extra points opportunities.

"Marshall [Morgan] has made a mistake. Marshall has been disciplined for that and I'm not going to continue to punish him. So right now I'm expecting Marshall to come in and take over the kicking duties," Richt said. "But it's good to know that Patrick [Beless] is capable and has been in big games and could come in in a pinch if we need him to."

Richt said the team will practice on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, with the potential for two of those days to be full-pad practices, while Friday will serve as an opportunity for coaches to make recruiting road trips.