• March 1, 2015
    |
    ||

UGA starting safety suspended for season opener - The Red and Black : Sports

UGA starting safety suspended for season opener

Related Stories

Related Documents

Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 12:48 pm | Updated: 11:10 am, Tue Jun 4, 2013.

A pair of Georgia football players were named in a University of Georgia Police incident report involving marijuana use in Vandiver Hall earlier this month.

Police found Bulldog starting safety Josh Harvey-Clemons and teammate Ty Flournoy-Smith in a room where a residence hall assistant “noticed an unusual smell that she believed to be marijuana," according to the May 14 report.

The UGA Athletic Association announced Tuesday afternoon that Harvey-Clemons, who earned the starting job during spring practice, will face a one-game suspension for violation of team rules and will not play in the Bulldogs season opener against Clemson. According to UGA Athletic Association policy, use of marijuana calls for a suspension of 10 percent of competition dates for a first-time violation.

According to the report, upon entry into the room, police noted both Harvey-Clemons and Flournoy-Smith “exhibited signs of marijuana ingestion; ie: blood shot eyes with dilated pupils that were slow to respond to light.” After telling the officers who they were and that they were UGA football players, both admitted to “smoking a blunt” earlier in the evening, according to the report. Harvey-Clemons led an officer to a cellophane bag that contained “a barely visible flake of possible marijuana,” the report states. A further search of the room revealed a digital scale on Flournoy-Smith's dresser.

The officers advised the two that no criminal charges would be sought because “there was no physical evidence to support prosecution,” but a report would be made and UGA could impose sanctions.

Flournoy-Smith was arrested and charged with false report of a crime in February, and it was announced last week he is expected to transfer to a junior college – potentially Georgia Military College.