• April 18, 2015
    |
    ||

Georgia running back Crowell dismissed from team following gun charge arrest (w/documents) - The Red and Black : Sports

Georgia running back Crowell dismissed from team following gun charge arrest (w/documents)

Loading…

Related Documents

Posted: Friday, June 29, 2012 5:00 pm | Updated: 6:28 pm, Mon Sep 10, 2012.

Georgia running back Isaiah Crowell was arrested Friday morning and charged with two felonies and a misdemeanor, and late Friday afternoon he was dismissed from the Georgia football team.

“We have a dedicated and committed group of men who are working hard to prepare for the coming season,” Bulldog head coach Mark Richt said in statement released. “Our total focus will be directed toward the team and this effort."

Crowell was charged by ACC Police on a felony count of weapon in a school zone, a felony count of altered ID mark and misdemeanor count of possession/carrying a concealed weapon. He was booked at 3:37 a.m. and bond was set at $7,500. He was released at 12:44 p.m. on $9,500 bond.

According to the official incident report, Crowell was arrested at a vehicle check-point on East Campus Road and Green Street at 2:20 a.m. Friday.

The arresting officer said that when he approached Crowell's vehicle, "I asked [Crowell] why he did not have his seatbelt on and he said that he had taken it off to reach for his things while approaching the check."

The officer said that he "detected the odor of marijuana coming from inside the vehicle."

The officer then asked if there was any marijuana in the vehicle.

According to the report, Crowell said no, and that they had been "at the club (Aftermath) and that is probably where the smell was from."

Crowell pulled his car, a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan, over to the bus lane and the officer asked him to step out of the car.

Crowell consented to be checked, and the officer did not locate any contraband on his person.

Crowell then consented to have his car checked.

No marijuana was found but a 9-mm Lugar handgun with altered serial numbers was found under the driver's seat.

The report said that when the gun was discovered, Crowell said "that other people drive his car" and denied knowing the gun was there.

There were four other people in the car: freshman signees Josh Harvey-Clemons, Blake Tibbs and Sheldon Dawson, and rising sophomore Quintavius Harrow.

None of the four were arrested with Crowell.

“Every vehicle that came through in both directions was checked,” Sorrow said. “He was not singled out, he just came through that checkpoint, and when the officers smelled the odor of the marijuana, that's what caused them to alert them. A consent search of the person and the other occupants of the vehicle was done.”

Crowell has had some troubles during his time at UGA. He was benched for the first quarter of the Vanderbilt game on Oct. 15 for unknown reasons, and sat out the entire game against New Mexico State on Nov. 5 while on suspension after reportedly failing a drug test.

"It's been a lot of ups and downs," he said at the time. "I'm gonna remember the mistakes I made, the good things I did. All I've got to stay in my mind is to keep working hard and be the best teammate and person I can be."

Crowell was one of three Georgia running backs — joined by teammates Carlton Thomas and Ken Malcome — made to sit out 10 percent of the 2011 competitive season when the three tested positive for marijuana use, a violation of the Athletic Association's drug policy. 

“We have certain standards in all that we do and their actions do not reflect the Georgia way,” head coach Mark Richt said in a statement at the time. “They will serve their suspensions, learn a lesson and I’m sure will be better men for it.”

During his freshman year, Crowell had 195 carries for 850 yards and five touchdowns and was named The Associated Press SEC Freshman of the Year.

11 comments:

• Dawgfan165 posted at 5:35 pm on Sat, Jun 30, 2012.

Dawgfan165 Posts: 2

Reading these comments that feel sorry for him makes me sick. He was a thug in Columbus and everybody knew it. People with personal knowledge of this adult made substantial bets on how long he would last. As least that's one less thug at this once great school.

• Dawgfan165 posted at 5:30 pm on Sat, Jun 30, 2012.

Dawgfan165 Posts: 2

Hahahahaha. As Obama would say, "If I had a son, he would look like Isaiah" This is freaking hilarious. I think I'm about done paying money for tickets to cheer these hoodrats that I probably wouldn't even p on if they were on fire. [wink]

• Holedigger posted at 9:53 am on Sat, Jun 30, 2012.

Holedigger Posts: 1

If the gun would not have had an altered serial number there would be no crime. You don't have to have a license to carry a gun in your car in Georgia. You don't have to be 21, just 18. Being 21 is for a license for the gun.
    The School safety zone law has been changed and that's a bs charge.

• GoDogsnotDawgs posted at 7:17 am on Sat, Jun 30, 2012.

GoDogsnotDawgs Posts: 1

I am confused. He was driving an '05 Mercury Marquis...where was his real car? Was his Mercedes or BMW being serviced? I know UGA pays their players better than that!

• TrboDawg posted at 5:48 pm on Fri, Jun 29, 2012.

TrboDawg Posts: 1

Poor Kid, He's trying do right. Showing the new kids the town - No Pot on him, No Alcohol either. He was apparently respectful to authority (nothing in the police report would suggest otherwise) and some unknown person leaves (plants?) a gun in his mom's car. Kid can't win for losing...

• Len Bias posted at 2:06 pm on Fri, Jun 29, 2012.

Len Bias Posts: 9

@Jake

That might be the most ignorant thing I've ever read. It's a gun, a weapon, an illegally procured one at that.

People tend to use those to create victims. If there is no crime, it's because officers prevented it.

• Jake posted at 1:26 pm on Fri, Jun 29, 2012.

Jake Posts: 1

This is such a joke. There is no victim so there is no crime.

Don't consent to searches. Assert your rights.

And why does it matter if someone has a gun in a school zone at 3AM anyway? Who is gonna be at school at that time? And did the cops arrest themselves for having guns in a school zone? I think not.

• bigal728 posted at 10:56 am on Fri, Jun 29, 2012.

bigal728 Posts: 1

Is Athens turning into the Old West and everyone packing a gun? The age requirement in GA is 21. Is Crowell 21, and if not, he has broken the law?

• Murphydawg80 posted at 9:37 am on Fri, Jun 29, 2012.

Murphydawg80 Posts: 1

Disagree with the "mean streets" comment...someone doesn't read the Athens news very much. BUT...you have to protect yourself legally.
    Incredibly poor decision by a habitually bad decision-maker. Is a shame, because he's the best talent at running back that we've had since Knowshon. I am excited that this opens the door widely for Keith Marshall and Todd Gurley, though!

• gabuldawg posted at 8:44 am on Fri, Jun 29, 2012.

gabuldawg Posts: 1

What a shame... Tons of talent but too much of a head case. It's time to cut our ties with him and bring in the young guns. Another roster spot opened up for this recuriting year. Unfortunately, we already had about 30 spots to fill. Now we have to rely on two Freshmen running backs for the entire year.

• cartersvilledawg posted at 8:18 am on Fri, Jun 29, 2012.

cartersvilledawg Posts: 1

You have got be joking around with me. It is not that tough to walk around the mean streets of Athens GA without a weapon, obviously this kid just does not get it. He just basically set a winning lottery ticket on fire, he will not be on the team anymore that's for sure. Let's hope Keith Marshall is as advertised.