• July 30, 2015
    |
    ||

Volleyball star Taylor aims to give sports news - The Red and Black : Sports

Volleyball star Taylor aims to give sports news

Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2008 12:00 am

When you turn on "Good Morning America" you are most likely to see Robin Roberts giving you the news.

Pretty soon that person could be Maria Taylor.

Taylor, a senior majoring in communications, has both the looks and personality to take on that role. Her goals include becoming an anchor for ESPN, or following in her idol's - Roberts - footsteps.

"I really want to [go into] sportscasting," Taylor said.

A major motivational factor for Taylor is that Roberts also played two sports in college while majoring in communications.

Taylor is arguably the best player on the volleyball team and was also on the women's basketball team her sophomore season, while Roberts played basketball and tennis while at Southeastern Louisiana State University.

"[I idolize her] because she played basketball and she got into broadcasting," Taylor said. "She did the whole ESPN thing, and now she's on ["Good Morning America"].

Taylor doesn't know if she will play basketball this coming season, and she says that it is all up in the air.

According to her coach, Joel McCartney, she will focus primarily on Volleyball.

"We think that she will stay focused on her primary love, which is volleyball," McCartney said.

Taylor, a 2nd-Team All-Southeastern Conference selection last season, works hard to be successful.

She spent last summer with the U.S. National A2 Blue Team, with which she won a bronze medal in the Open Division of the USA Volleyball Championships. When she wasn't playing, she was taking classes to finish her minor in Sociology.

This season, Taylor will take on even more responsibilities. Besides focusing on her future in communications, she is a captain for a team with high expectations. She wants to be the person that directs a young but talented squad in the right direction.

What is her goal as a leader?

"I would just say keep playing the same way as I have been and just try to be more focused as a leader," she said. "I definitely want to get a bid to the NCAA tournament because I haven't been before with the volleyball team."

Though it's her last season as a Bulldog, there's a good possibility of a volleyball future for Taylor.

But, when the time has come for her to hang up the shoes, don't be surprised if you hear, "Good Morning America, I'm Maria Taylor."