Research shows that both genes and environmental factors contribute to the increased risk of obesity in adolescents.

A study done by University of Georgia researchers Catherine O’Neal and Kandauda Wickrama in the Journal of Adolescent Health shows community adversity is a big factor of obesity.

The researchers looked at data from a 13-year period collected by the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health to determine genetic makeup and community risks.

“The results showed people with both risk factors had a significantly higher BMI,” according to the study.

O’Neal, a postdoctoral fellow in the UGA College of Family and Consumer Sciences’ department of human development and family science, discussed what initiated this research.

“Our research in general looks at family and social factors that predict a wide variety of health outcomes,” O’Neal said. “This is just kind of one particular interest in a broader scope. One of the factors that we look at is how community does influence health outcomes, which is where this piece came from.”

O’Neal talked about the issues of nature and nurture when it comes to adolescent obesity.

“The questions is no longer is it nature or is it nurture; it’s really more looking at how do they interact together” O’Neal said.

The study looked at community on a larger scale than just household environments. It takes into account unemployment rates, poverty, the types of restaurants in an area and other aspects of a larger community.

O’Neal and Wickrama gathered information from previous studies that looked at gene-environment interactions in family environments at a certain point in time and expanded their research to focus on data over several years and to a wider community scope to see how genes and community influence the obesity equation over time, according to the same article.

Autumn Adams, a third-year biology major from Snellville, agrees that community problems such as these contribute to obesity risks.

“It is expensive to eat healthy and obtain a gym membership; therefore, trying to stay fit and eat healthy may be a sacrifice in order to keep food on the table and pay bills,” Adams said.

Adams and O’Neal suggested some ways to address the community adversity problem.

“Some ways to lower obesity rates are to reduce the cost of gym membership and personal trainers,” Adams said. “Lower prices might make working out more appealing instead of being another burden.”

O’Neal emphasized improving the socioeconomic status of communities.

“What this work really shows is that public health policies that are focused at improving the socioeconomic characteristics of a community will also have an effect on the health behaviors that occurs in the community,” O’Neal said. “Things like improving the unemployment rate, increasing access to exercise facilities, making neighborhoods safer will all have a direct influence on health.”

ralphla54

Responding to Articles
A new FDA approved diet pill called Belviq just went on the market. People who take Belviq with diet and exercise were 2 times more likely to lose 5% body weight and 3 times more likely to lose 10% body weight than the people who just did diet and exercise alone. The label states that if you do not lose 5% of your body weight in 12 weeks then consider stopping. Those that do respond in 12 weeks go on to lose over 10% of their body weight in one year. Losing 22 pounds for a 220 pound man is life changing. So comments about average weight loss are misleading and incorrect since over 45% of the patients lost a significant amount of weight.
Belviq makes you more likely to succeed because it helps you feel full more quickly, reduces cravings, and helps control "food issues". It is not a 'magic pill', it merely helps people willing to diet and exercise more likely to succeed.
Belviq has a second mode of action to reduce blood sugar which may end up preventing diabetes in many cases. Diabetics and pre-diabetics who took Belviq, regardless of weight loss, saw their blood sugar numbers drop by double digit percentages. IE HbA1c -0.9 to -1.2 and fasting glucose feel -27. The cost of medications to reduce HbA1c levels exceeds the cost of Belviq. (seeArena's BloomDN phase III trial) These reductions in diabetic symptoms plus the weight loss at the same time makes Belviq a medical bargain.
With an estimated 40 million new cases of Diabetes expected over the next 10 years at a cost of over $400 billion per year to the US Health Care System, and the associated heart disease, strokes, blindness and amputations, any tool that will prevent this preventable disease from ballooning is a good tool to have. People who are borderline diabetic may benefit a great deal from Belviq whether they lose a lot of weight or just a little.

radfatty

The “well-intended” war on childhood obesity may have unintended consequences and causing serious problems with eating disorders.

As shown in the study, School Obesity Programs May Promote Worrisome Eating Behaviors and Physical Activity in Kids, the C.S. Mott Children's Hospital National Poll on Children's Health examined the possible association between school-based childhood obesity prevention programs and an increase in eating disorders among young children and adolescents. Thirty percent of parents of 6-14 year-olds reported at least one behavior in their children that could be associated with the development of an eating disorder.

I would like to recommend the free NAAFA Child Advocacy ToolkitSM (CATK) to assist you looking at programs. The total health of our nation's children is a serious responsibility.

The NAAFA Child Advocacy Toolkit shows how Health At Every Size® takes the focus off weight and directs it to healthful eating and enjoyable movement. It addresses bullying, building positive self-image and eliminating stigmatization of large children. Additionally, the CATK lists resources available to parents and educators or caregivers for educational materials, curriculum and programming that is beneficial for all children. It can be found at: http://tinyurl.com/7ma5bml

It is my hope that you will take this opportunity to look at the information held in the CATK and keep what is included in mind when making decisions regarding the children in your charge.

Destroyer of Darkness

That's a lot of doughnuts. I'm a fatty, but doing something about it, are you? Oh, and this writer is awesome. #1 fan