The Terry College of Business has started its 2013 summer sessions for the Terry Business Academy, a program aimed at students both considering college and wishing to work in the business world.

“It is a pre-collegiate program that we designed to expose high school students to various careers and opportunities that they would have as a business major at the Terry College,” said Randy Groomes, the director of diversity relations and the program director for the Terry Business Academy.

The program is sponsored by Deloitte, the largest accounting and consulting firm in the world, Groomes said.

“So they came in and saw the value that our program was having and they decided that they wanted to invest in the next generation of business leaders,” he said.

Applying for this pre-collegiate program is just as detailed as a regular admission process for the University of Georgia.

“We have a pretty competitive application process that we try to mirror the UGA admissions, and we are looking at their academics as well as their leadership and their interest in business and their application quality,” Groomes said. “For this particular program we have between 300 to 400 applicants a year and we select about 60.”

The program is offered twice during the summer, between June 23 to June 29 and July 7 to July 13, according to the program’s website. The program lasts for one week and the 30 rising juniors and seniors are able to stay on campus for the program, Groomes said. Current UGA students also serve as their Residential Advisors for the program.

“It’s a great opportunity for our students to be able to have that leadership opportunity and relationship skills as well as being a mentor to the younger students,” the director said.

Students have the opportunity to field trips for music business at the Commerce Club in Atlanta, a business office, and to the Deloitte Office.

Groomes said environments where business is conducted can always change, so students are prepared for the most formal and casual environments, such as a golf course.

“So much of business is done on the golf course and so we try to give them some training of how to act and how to conduct themselves in a professional golf outing,” Groomes said. “It’s a very big part of business.”

Students also get to brush up on their artistic side in dealing with business.

“We try to also include the arts so students also will spend some time at the Georgia Museum of Art,” he said.

To conclude the session, students will compete in a marketing competition where they will have to compete by creating a special smart application for a project that they do for AT&T and at the end of the week they compete for a prize, he said.

Groomes said the program has a good influence on the future students and provides for a good foundation.

“I think the program has had a really profound impact on the number of students that are interested in going into business and being business majors,” Groomes said. “We are now at the point where our first students who did the program are now becoming to be seniors in college and are doing extremely well in their studies and are getting great internship opportunities and really build that experience that gave them a leg up.”