• May 4, 2015
    |
    ||

UGA food services hosts competition to name dining hall - The Red and Black : Ugalife

UGA food services hosts competition to name dining hall

Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:00 am | Updated: 11:05 am, Sun Sep 15, 2013.

Students will put their tweeting to good use as the University of Georgia’s Food Services hosts a Twitter contest to name its new dining commons.

“We’ve had good participation,” said Alison Harper, Food Services marketing coordinator. “We’ve had over sixty submissions in a short amount of time and we still have a week to go.”

To complement new housing developments at Brown Hall, UGA plans to open a new dining hall on the newly built Health Sciences campus on Prince Avenue. The new dining hall at Scott Hall will differ from dining commons in size and food choices. The eatery will house 100 students, compared to the 700 seats at Bolton Dining Commons.

“Because we are sharing the building and with the space we received, we can’t put up a big server like we have at Joe Frank Commons at the Summit,” said Jeanne Fry, executive director of Food Service. “We had to do an abbreviated version. That kind of goes against Food Services policy of wide variety, so instead of wide variety we decided to go for high quality and styles of cooking that we could not do on a larger scale like at the other dining halls”

The new commons will have a stone brick oven to create made-to-order pizzas and calzones. It will also offer other items such as gelato. Food Services praises the new dining hall for its fresh market and made to order items.

“I kind of think of it as a European café situation,” said Bryan Varin, associate director of meal plan operations. “It’ll be beautiful and fresh and more upscale with a lot of things cook to order and customized as well. It’s a really exciting concept.”

The Dining Commons at Scott Hall will operate Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. The dining hall will accept meal plan patrons as well as paying customers, like the universities other eateries.

Food Services is hosting a contest to name the eatery. Students will submit a name and the submission that receives the most twitter votes wins. Winners will receive a free upgrade to the 7-day meal plan from the purchase of a 5-day meal plan. We are letting people submit names to our email. 

“We thought it was really fun to get students involved,” Frye said. “We think it’s a great way for them to learn about Scott Hall,”

The university will open its fifth dining hall in fall 2013.

“I think that it’ll be kind of cool even though it is relatively smaller,” said Kalila Clarke, a sophomore animal science major. “I think it’ll be nice to have fresh foods. It’s a good idea. If I continue with meal plan next semester, I will definitely make my way down there.”