• September 1, 2015
    |
    ||

Landscape Journal moves to UGA, employs students - The Red and Black : Campus

Landscape Journal moves to UGA, employs students

Related Stories

Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:00 pm | Updated: 1:00 am, Tue Dec 2, 2014.

The publication that covers landscape architecture topics, Landscape Journal, has chosen a new location to house its editorial offices — the University of Georgia’s College of Environment and Design.

The journal's move on campus gives students an opportunity to learn more about the field and producing a magazine.

Landscape Journal has been a contributor to the scholarly base for landscape architecture for the past 25 years, so the move to UGA was great news, said Melissa Tufts, Owens Library and Circle Gallery director in the College of Environment and Design. She said she oversees the copy editing at the editorial office of Landscape Journal.

“We are very pleased to have the editorial offices here at the UGA College of Environment and Design,” Tufts said. “In our department the need for writing is very important. In environmental design we have a large emphasis on graphics and design, but we also feel there is a very important element in landscape architecture that is in writing.”

Daniel Nadenicek, dean of the College of Environment and Design, and David Pitt, a professor at the University of Minnesota, are the co-editors of the Journal, which will continue to publish at the University of Wisconsin Press.

Bryan Zubalsky, a landscape architecture graduate student from Rock Tavern, N.Y., is one of the three graduate students at UGA who is assisting with the copy editing at Landscape Journal. He considers the position “right up his alley” in terms of utilizing his undergraduate English major and graduate school major.

“Working there has been a very educational experience so far,” Zubalsky said. “Not only do I get to read these articles before they go to press and see the thoughts and whole editorial process, I also get to see how the Journal itself is run, and how the levels of staff interact.”

The Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture owns Landscape Journal and provides the primary financial support for the Journal’s editorial office at UGA.

The CELA has five main goals for the Journal — to enhance subject-matter variety, nurture scholarship in landscape architecture, increase readership and influence, reach out to new contributors and strengthen the connection of scholarship to practice.

Zubalsky, who got the opportunity to work for Landscape Journal through a recommendation by his professor, thinks the Journal’s move to UGA adds another layer of legitimacy to the UGA landscape architecture program.

He hopes the move will provide examples to people in the program of how to effectively communicate ideas, visions, and designs throughout the written word as well as in a visual format.

“I feel that right now is an underutilized or underdeveloped skill,” he said.

Another graduate student, Kevan Williams, assists with the copy editing at Landscape Journal and enjoys the learning experience.

“It is interesting to see how everything gets put together at Landscape Journal,” said the landscape architecture student from Athens. “We are learning how to do layouts and editing. We are figuring out everyone’s role, and it’s exciting to see it all come together.”

Zubalsky said the experience of working at Landscape Journal will not only look great on a résumé but will also be an experience he would not have had without its move to UGA.

“Regardless of where I end up going with my career, whether I go into more of the academic side or the practicing side of the firm, it’s going to be good to have this background and this experience to work from,” he said.