• February 26, 2015
    |
    ||

UGA graduate Carly Mathis makes Miss America Top 10 - The Red and Black : Uganews

UGA graduate Carly Mathis makes Miss America Top 10

Related Stories

Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 9:41 pm | Updated: 4:12 pm, Tue Sep 17, 2013.

A University of Georgia graduate made the top 10 semi-finalists in the 2014 Miss America competition Sunday night.

Recent UGA graduate Carly Mathis fell short of reaching one of the top five spots, which were occupied by Miss Oklahoma, Miss New York, Miss Florida, Miss California and Miss Minnesota.

Miss New York, Nina Davuluri, 24, was crowned the winner.

Mathis is the first Miss Georgia contestant to advance to the Miss America Top 15 since 2009, according to a report in the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer.

She won a Miss America preliminary swimsuit competition Thursday.

Mathis graduated from UGA in the spring of 2013 with a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism from the Henry W. Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication. The Leesburg native was crowned Miss Georgia in Columbus in June.

Mathis is the third Grady graduate to be named Miss Georgia, according to an article on the Grady College website. Deborah Mosley Brewer, a 1981 graduate, was crowned in 1978 and Rachel English Hoover earned her crown the same year she graduated from Grady — 1995.