• May 22, 2015
    |
    ||

AthFest Review: Venice is Sinking - The Red and Black : Variety

AthFest Review: Venice is Sinking

Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:27 pm

Venice is Sinking layers lush symphonic brass with light pop melodies crafting some of the crème de la crème of Athen’s indie scene. 

Daniel Lawson’s lead vocals beautifully complement and enhance the band’s sound. Their chemistry was obvious on-stage. 

I loved how their songs would snowball, beginning often as a single sound and gradually adding more and more layers.

This is true music. This is quality sound. This is what the Athens music scene is all about. 

Of course, I will say that their style is not everyone’s cup of tea. It’s definitely an acquired taste as the majority of their catalogue consists of very slow, mellow easy-listening pop. 

Somehow, though, it remains somewhat catchy in a way and never fails to keep your attention. In fact, their music not only captured my attention, I felt entranced and relaxed. 

My only complaint of the show was that the audience was loud and rowdy making it difficult to really appreciate the different little sounds that fit together tomake Venice is Sinking’s music the gold that it is.