• May 29, 2015
    |
    ||

Delta Rae treat Athens audience like family - The Red and Black : Variety

Delta Rae treat Athens audience like family

Related Stories

Related Galleries

Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2012 6:15 pm | Updated: 3:18 pm, Wed Oct 30, 2013.

I sat at a candle-lit table with two friends in the Melting Point last night. I was not only infatuated with the romantic setting but also with the opening performance of Emily Hearn. The symphonic tunes that eased everyone into the evening were a huge contrast to what eventually filled the space with booming vocals.

Delta Rae headlined the show, a dynamic band of five, which produced a sound too big for any venue. From a Virginia boy’s perspective, it sent a dark southern gospel shiver down my spine. The set made me feel like I was in a church where bad children go to play at night.

With haunting chords, Delta Rae forced out the deepest emotion from their listeners, for me at least. The harmonies from each band member portray a different story. Eric and Brittany Hölljes provide volume and quality to the vocal performance, while Liz Hopkins, the brunette vocalist, belts beautiful low chords to balance out the blonde ambition in such songs as “If I Loved You.”

Brittany takes control with “Bottom of the River” and “Fire,” from the band’s debut album, “Carry the Fire.”

Mike McKee controlled the tempo on percussion alongside Grant Emerson, the band's bassist.

After the show, the band came together with the audience for an encore performance.

The audience circled the band as if in a family gathering, and sang along with the performers.

In an even more humble display, the band hosted a meet and greet, making sure to sign every album purchased by fans, eager to meet the group.

“They were an amazing live performance,” said Jim White, a senior at the University of Georgia.

After the fanfare, the band said their goodbyes to their first ever Athens audience.