• May 30, 2015
    |
    ||

'Gleeks' unite for UGA's men and women Glee Club fall show - The Red and Black : Variety

'Gleeks' unite for UGA's men and women Glee Club fall show

Related Stories

Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 12:00 pm | Updated: 2:09 pm, Wed Oct 30, 2013.

In May 2009, the nation first became familiar with a television show that soon became a major success with a cult following. When "Glee" premiered, it led audience members to tap into their inner “Gleek” every week. Although they don’t deal with the scandals that the New Directions of William McKinley High School deal with, the University of Georgia’s men’s and women’s Glee Clubs are still able to put on a show.

Both the men’s and women’s Glee Clubs will perform in their fall concert on tonight. The two clubs will be performing selected pieces from Randall Thompson’s Frostiana as well as works by Pablo Casals, Felix Mendelssohn, Benjamin Britten and Alice Parker. 

“The songs in this year’s performance are all beautiful and very artistic. All the women’s voices mix so well and create a stunning sound," said Merinda Paige, a sophomore music therapy major form Valdosta.

The reasons behind why individuals choose to participate in glee club are all different. For Paige, it is a requirement for her major. But for others it is simply an extracurricular.

“Participating in glee club for me is totally extracurricular. I just wanted to sing a little bit this semester," said Will Abney, a sports management graduate student from Tifton. "My favorite part is seeing all the guys who really want to sing, since most mixed choirs tend to have a much larger percentage of women than men."

The Glee Clubs meet for an hour and 15 minutes twice a week to prepare and rehearse for performances. When the clubs meet for practice, for the most part only a piano is used to rehearse musical pieces. When the dress rehearsals come around for the final shows, that’s when members become even more motivated to perform in front of a live audience.

“My favorite memory from Glee Club was when all of the UGA choirs and orchestras met to dress rehearse Carmina Burana last year. Women’s Glee had been rehearsing with just piano, and when so many of us were together and had full band, the opening was so powerful that it gave me chill bumps,” Paige said.

After weeks of rehearsing, it is finally time for the clubs to showcase all their preparation and hard work. While there won’t be any extravagant dance numbers many may be familiarized with from the television show "Glee", the glee clubs will still put on a show sure to move the audience.

“I’m really excited for people to hear what we’ve been working on. There are a lot of different styles of music and some foreign languages,” said Lauren Sudduth, a second year linguistics major from St. Simons Island.