Funk will change Athens tonight. 

It's easy to see why The Heavy Pets and Sumilan are grouped together. Both have a passion for diverse music.

"Each show is different," Jeff Lloyd, guitarist of The Heavy Pets, said. "There is no such thing as a typical show."

Having a new experience, one different from everyone else, is important to both bands.

Sumilan keyboardist Alex Stokes said confusing the audience by making them unsure of what they had just witnessed is another philosophy the band tries to attain in each and every performance.

Both bands have similar backgrounds — some of the band members had attended high school together and met the others in college.

For The Heavy Pets, although based in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., it began at Syracuse University, where most of the members met. However, it was not until October 2005 that The Heavy Pets played its first show together in Florida after Hurricane Mona had hit.

Its town destroyed by a natural disaster, The Heavy Pets searched for a place conducive to a performance and played.

The band's quick action spearheaded immediate success as they were the “only musical act playing at the time,” Lloyd said.

Besides their glowing reputation in the music world, the band is passionate about what they do. Since the band members have known each other for so long, it allows them to get down to what matters most to them — the music.

Sumilan can boast their beginnings in Athens. Most of the band members attended the University of Georgia, and two are Athens natives.

Sumilan described its style as progressive rock similar to that of Pink Floyd with vocal styling like The Police.

The band hopes to differentiate themselves from other local Athens bands one might hear in a bar.

Like The Heavy Pets, Sumilan is dedicated to the music and makes performing and music not only a passion but a lifestyle.

Lloyd and Stokes said they will make a difference in Athens.

What: The Heavy Pets with Sumilan

When: Jan. 11, 10 p.m.

Where: Georgia Theatre

Price: $7