• November 24, 2015

Life needs background music - The Red and Black : Variety

Life needs background music

Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 12:00 am

Editor's note: The Classic Rant usually appears on Mondays.

After my short 21 years on this planet, I have come to agree with the phrase "the problem with life is that there is no background music."

We sit down and read books, watch movies, see plays and listen to music to essentially escape our everyday lives. While watching those movies, we imagine ourselves in the hero's or heroine's shoes while they fight off dragons or elude the FBI. With each dashing escape and each perfect kiss, there is always one thing in common -- background music.

If our lives had a soundtrack, we think we could accomplish anything in the world. Nothing will ever be able to keep us down. Each time we go out and get the paper in the morning is an epic event because of the dashing music playing.

I have had long discussions with friends about how our lives are never like those in the movies. Being as darkly optimistic and imaginative I am, I really think they can be.

It is all about how you perceive the world around you. Things you see each day get more and more boring as time passes. With a nice soundtrack going on, everything will be more interesting.

If you ever meet me or talk to me, there is almost a 100 percent chance there is some song in my head. I always walk around with headphones to escape the droll of my usual life. While walking and sometimes keeping beat with the music, the walk from Tate to the library doesn't seem so bad and sometimes people seem nicer even with their usual blank stares.

Each day begins with a song setting the tone for the day. When I wake up in my usual happily-depressed state, the first thing I play on my stereo is either The Cure or something mellow like Travis.

When I wake up energized (sometime around 2 p.m.), The Pixies are nice for a spark of energy keeping in pace with my emotions.

No matter what feelings you are having, there is music you already have waiting to back you up and possibly change your emotions.

Just remember, you can have beautiful background music making your life dramatic. Keep it playing in your head, it gives you energy to fight off things in life trying to bring you down.

After I figured this out, I learned that real life is sometimes more exciting than a movie, but there are some exceptions.

-- Parker Davidson is a senior in publication management. The Classic Rant is a variety column appearing weekly.