Five positions are up in the Clarke County Board of Education spring election. Board of education members work towards improving student achievement in public schools through policy making, approving the budget and evaluating the superintendent. 

Board meetings are held the second Thursday each month at 6 p.m. in the Athens Community Career Center. 

The election is on May 22 with early voting beginning April 30 until May 18.

District 1

Greg Davis (I)

Greg Davis is the incumbent and is running unopposed.

Davis is now working as a licensed professional counselor after retiring from the Clarke County School District in 2011. He spent 12 years as a high school social studies teacher and seven years as a middle school counselor in Augusta.

He came to Athens in 2008 as the district family engagement and equity specialist and currently serves on the Policy Committee, the Government Relations Committee and the Evaluation of the Superintendent Committee.

District 3

Linda Davis (I)

Linda Davis is the incumbent and is running unopposed.

After earning her bachelor's in business administration from Shorter College and her master's degree from Kennesaw State University, Davis returned to Athens in 2006 to serve the youth in the Athens community.

Davis is active in civic and community efforts such as the Athens Clarke Heritage Foundation, Envision Athens Steering Committee and the West Broad Feasibility Study Initiative. Davis is currently serving on the Evaluation of the Superintendent Committee and she is the vice chair of the the Finance Committee and Policy Committee.

District 5

Imani Scott-Blackwell

Imani Scott-Blackwell is a University of Georgia student whois running because she feels it is essential to have someone on the board who is fighting for racial and social justice through education policy.

According to her platform issues, she will strive to give opportunities and support needed to pursue gifted education. Specifically, she wants to integrate classrooms through fighting to end racial inequalities in opportunities offered to low-income, minority students.

She also wants to redraw school attendance zones to ensure students of socioeconomic statuses are spread across the district and create a pathway between Clarke County Schools and UGA to guarantee a teaching position with the completion of the UGA education program.

Kara Dyckman

Dr. Dyckman is a University of Georgia graduate who received her Ph.D. in Cognitive/Experimental Psychology in 2007. She is currently a full-time lecturer in the psychology department and has held this position since 2012.

Dyckman’s specific goal for the district is to provide every child with the appropriate resources to meet their specific academic and socio-economic needs. This includes paying continued attention to equity and safety within Clarke county schools.

As a school board member, she plans to bring research and data forward to study ways to improve academic performance, to reduce the number of disciplinary incidents in schools and to make changes to benefit student performance.

District 7

Carol Williams (I)

Williams is the incumbent for District 7.

Ms. Williams currently serves on the Evaluation of the Superintendent Committee, the Policy Committee and the Government Relations Committee.

LaKeisha Gantt

Dr. Gantt is a native of Athens and has spent her career working with students and families. She holds Georgia certifications to practice as a licensed professional counselor, psychologist and school counselor. She is a former behavior specialist with the Clarke County School District and has worked with multiple stakeholders on ways to improve school climate.

Gantt believes intentional leadership development, increased teacher support, and effect discipline practices are critical in developing healthy school climates. In order to develop effective policy and oversee the work of a superintendent, she thinks a board member should have knowledge and experience regarding what goes on in schools.

District 9

Tawana Mattox

Dr. Mattox has spent her life working for advocacy, supporting literacy in grade school and helping high school students prepare for college and life.

Mattox is a native to Athens and has served over 27 years in both adult education and higher education. According to her platform, fostering an equitable, supportive community that enables the success of all students and parents is her key priority.

Check back at the redandblack.com for more election coverage.