200908_JCA_DriveIn_127.jpg

Students gathered in their cars on Tuesday, Sept. 8, 2020 in a parking lot at the University of Georgia’s intramural fields in Athens, Georgia. University Union hosted a drive-in movie night featuring Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. (Photo/Julian Alexander, jalexander@randb.com)

The campus and city news desks have compiled a list of virtual events going on throughout the upcoming week that are open to the public. The list features a drive in movie, a panel about fact-finding with The Red & Black and a virtual concert.

Follow the links for more information for any event.

Monday, Oct. 5

Vanessa Veselka in conversation with Karolina Waclawiak for “The Great Offshore Grounds

What: Avid Bookshop presents author Vanessa Veselka, in conversation with author Karolina Waclawiak, for a virtual discussion about Veselka’s book, “The Great Offshore Grounds.” 

Time: 7–8 p.m.

Tuesday, Oct. 6

Drive-In: Scooby-Doo

What: A drive-in movie presented by the University Union at the intramural fields, lot E01.

Time: 8:30 p.m.

Wednesday, Oct. 7

Panel Talk: COVID-19 Fact-Finding: A Virtual Conversation with The Red & Black

What: In a webinar, learn how student reporters from The Red & Black have researched and reported on COVID-19, navigating a complex and often politicized information landscape.

Time: 4 p.m.

Thursday, Oct. 8

Sunflower Concert: Caroline Aiken

What: This virtual Sunflower Concert features Caroline Aiken and the opening set of Whisper Kiss.

Time: 7–9 p.m.

Friday, Oct. 9

Idea Lab Conversation: Arts + Sustainability

What: Abigail West, artist, activist, and recent Creature Comforts artist-in-residence, will host a virtual informal conversation about reclamation and creative reuse in businesses and artist studios.

Time: 3–4 p.m.