ACC library mug

The Athens Clarke County Library is hosting an internet basics class on Tuesday, Dec. 11. 

The news desk has compiled a list of events going on throughout the upcoming week that are open to Athenians and University of Georgia students.

The list includes events intended to become active citizens, spend family time or participate in conversations surrounding new research or upcoming plans for the city. Follow the links for more information for any event.

Monday, Sept. 24

UGA Educational Affairs Committee Meeting

What: The 13-member Educational Affairs Committee is hosting its September meeting that will include recommendations for educational policies and hearing student academic appeals.

When: 3:30 p.m.

Where: New College, Room 315

Barnett Shoals Road Lane Reconfiguration Public Meeting

What: Athens residents are invited to attend a public meeting discussing the temporary lane striping that was installed on Barnett Shoals Road. Athens-Clarke County staff will be there to discuss the changes. Citizens are also invited to fill out this survey providing feedback of the road changes.

When: 5-7 p.m.

Where: Fire Station #7 on 2350 S. Barnett Shoals Road

Tuesday, Sept. 25

UGA Entrepreneurship Speaker Series: Maureen Clayton

What: Founder and president of Insight Strategic Communications and Nest Egg Communication, Maureen Clayton, will deliver a lecture on her journey toward starting her own company. Free Chick-fil-A will be served.

When: 5:30-6:30 p.m.

Where: Amos Hall, B012

Clarke County Mentor Program Training Session

What: The Clarke County Mentor Program is hosting a training session for those interested in becoming a mentor for a child in the Clarke County School District.

When: 10-11 a.m.

Where: Athens-Clarke County Library at 2025 Baxter St.

Wednesday, Sept. 26

Info Session for Off-Campus Film Production Course

What: The University of Georgia Department of Entertainment and Media Studies and the Georgia Film Academy is hosting an info session for students interested in the upcoming course on Introduction to On-Set Film Production.

When: 3:30-4:30 p.m.

Where: Zell B. Miller Learning Center, Room 248

Matthew Cordell Book Signing

What: Award winning author and illustrator Matthew Cordell will be at the Avid Bookshop for a signing of his latest book, “King Alice.”

When: 6-7 p.m.

Where: Avid Bookshop Prince Avenue location

Thursday, Sept. 27

Terry’s Women Initiative Learning from the Pros: Coffee & Conversation with Robin Thomas

What: The Terry Women’s Initiative will host UGA alumna Robin Thomas, who will be discussing her career in media at WGN-America, Disney-ABC Television Group, TNT, TBS and TCM.

When: 9-9:45 a.m.

Where: Correll Hall, Room 442

Athens-Clarke County Democrats Meeting:

What: The Athens-Clarke County Democrats are hosting their monthly meeting at the ACC Library that will be open to the public.

When: 6-8 p.m.

Friday, Sept. 28

Economics Seminar Series: Christopher Ruhm

What: Christopher Ruhm from the University of Virginia will lead a seminar as part of the Terry College of Business Economics Seminar series.

When: 3:30-5 p.m.

Where: Benson Hall, Room C115

Naturalist Assistant Program Volunteer Training

What: The Sandy Creek Nature Center is hosting a training program for teenagers who are interested in volunteering at the center. Pre-registration is required by Sept. 23 by calling 706-613-3615 extension 229.

When: 3:30-5:30 p.m.

Where: Sandy Creek Nature Center at 205 Old Commerce Road

Saturday, Sept. 29

Natural History of Georgia’s Insects Class

What: The State Botanical Garden of Georgia is hosting a class for students to learn the ecology and history of the insect pollinators in Georgia. General admission is $50 per person or $45 for a member. Tickets can be purchased online.

When: 9 a.m.-1 p.m.

Where: State Botanical Garden of Georgia at 2450 S. Milledge Ave.

SAT Blitz Begins

What: The UGA Center for Continuing Education will begin offering SAT prep courses starting Sept. 29. Tickets for the course can be purchases at the Georgia Center's website.

When: 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m

Where: UGA Center for Continuing Education at 1197 S. Lumpkin St.

Sunday, Sept. 30

Hillary Middleton Exhibition Reception

What: The ACC Library is hosting a reception for the opening day of artist Hillary Middleton’s exhibit titled “Pure Expression.” The exhibit will be on display in the Quiet Gallery on the second floor.

When: 4-5:30 p.m.

Where: ACC Library at 2025 Baxter St.